Milwaukee Mayor stepping up to the plate.

greengiant912

I think he gets re-elected until he doesn't want the job anymore. It's nice to see somebody, especially a politician step up and try to help and calm a situation. Usually people just stand around and watch, calling the police on their cell phones at the very most. Unfortunately for the Mayor the assailant was crazed enough to commit violence but at least he prevented it from happening to a child and grandmother.

"went above the call of duty and said he was proud of Barrett's actions"

Above what duty?

His moral duty as a citizen to protect the innocent?

hmmmm...

I commend the guy for doing what he did, and it indeed might be rare for politicians to put them selves in harms way or to try and directly save another persons life but don't imply the guy is a super hero!

:P

When the assailant claims to have a gun(whether he actually has one or not) that changes the game quite a bit. I mean is it the average citizens job to take a beating or a bullet for strangers? Not in most people's eyes. It's law enforcements job to serve and protect after all. If they aren't there then it's up to the individual to decide how far he/she should go to intervene. This guy went far and above the call of duty of his job as the Mayor or the actions of what an average citizen could reasonably be expected to do. Hell he's still in the hospital days later from the severity of the beating this guy threw at him.

I wouldn't call him a superhero-unless he puts on colorful tights and can fly of course ;) . I would call him a hero though. Observe and report is really all that the average citizen can reasonably be expected to do. For this guy that wasn't enough and that's why he's a hero. He didn't wait for a crowd to form to give himself courage. He just acted without thought for his own personal safety.