Sign in to follow this  
Edgard of Rivia

Upgrade an E6600 or save for a i7?

I have a sucker MOBO (ECS 945 M3 V3.0) and a Core 2 Duo E6600 (old faithful), 2gb of cheap DDR2, WD caviar blue 500gb, antec 650w (25A on the 12v rails), and a asus en8800 gts 320mb (running Vista Ultimate 32 bit, yep, no going further than 4gb).

Now, I was thinking of an update, and I do have us$300,00 available, right now.

First thing that came to mind was: hey, I want an i7! but, in japan's prices (I live in Japan by the way), that would mean something like us$600,00 (nice mobo+i7 920+ 4gb of ram,limited by windows vista 32bit). video card could be upgraded later (along with a psu probably).

but then again: I could buy myself a ASRock p45x3 deluxe + some 4gb of Corsair DDR3 1600 and + some decent cooler by us$250,00 ; keeping everything else unchanged, but opening some nice headroom for oc'ing the reliable E6600.

so, is it a bad move?

spending money on a 775 based platform, at this point, is a dumb idea or what?

oops, where are my manners?! :rolleyes:

I'm new here, but intent to stick around.

I do live in crazy Japan right now, but I'm actually a Brazilian-born European descendant (as most Brazilians).

Nice to meet you all!

Welcome! There are no bad ideas but I would hold off until you see what the I5 and socket 1156 systems bring. Pricing looks pretty aggressive it you look through the online leaks.

Welcome to OCC!!

Like Coke said, check out the i5's when they come out and if they aren't a big improvement, go AMD ;)

Agreed with the above wait for the new I5/I7'S. Yes some of the new i5s will be named with i7. confusing or what ^^ the i7 was never ment to replace core 2. thats the job for i5 lets just hope they have good prices.

If price is a concern, I would suggest you to order stuff from the US. I live on the other side of the world than the US but still it's cheaper to order from there. (Compared to Finnish prices, Germany actually might be a better choice than the US :P)

Thanks guys!

I am really curious about the i5!

My indecision is mainly due to windows.

Right now, with a Vista Ultimate 32bit, i cant really use the full potential of the i7 right (64bit architecture + DDR3 above 4gb)?! But buying a new vista 64bit when windows 7 is around the corner is crazy.

Thanks for the ideas!

Thanks guys!

I am really curious about the i5!

My indecision is mainly due to windows.

Right now, with a Vista Ultimate 32bit, i cant really use the full potential of the i7 right (64bit architecture + DDR3 above 4gb)?! But buying a new vista 64bit when windows 7 is around the corner is crazy.

Thanks for the ideas!

and you could use the free Beta of it until next year ;)

OK, I've just sold my soul and bought a P6T Deluxe V2 + i7 920 + Corsair's XMS3!

:blush:

For now I will run my hideous Vista Ultimate 32bit, giving up the 64bit advantages until windows 7 does come out. (RC version download and keys were finished yesterday).

Oh boy, I hope I can have a blast until the devil comes to collect!

Thanks guys!

You should be able to go from 32 bit vista to 64 bit for free, or $10 (usd) at the most if you call m$. 64 bit uses the same cd key.