Phenom II 965 overclock

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=663142

Hit 4Ghz easily just changing the multiplier. Temps are 38 degrees C idle. Stress testing but looks good so far.

Final 24/7 Stable Overclock Settings

3900Mhz

Bus Speed 200Mhz

Multiplier 19.5x

NB 2600Mhz

HT Link 2600Mhz

DRAM speed 1067 5-5-5-15 timings

CPUv 1.4625v

CPU/NBv 1.35v

CPU VDDA 2.6v

DRAMv 2.1v

HTv 1.28v

NBv 1.28v

NB 1.8v 1.8v

SBv 1.2v

ACC Disabled

Edited by rourkchris

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just about 15 minutes into OCCT 1 hour stability testing and the load temps are between 48-49 degrees C. I'm betting that when the i5 comes out the 965 will drop to the price of a 955. I think the temps are getting a little too high for my comfort for a 24/7 overclock. Just seeing where it will go and then I'll set it back to 3.8Ghz or so.

Edited by rourkchris

Just about 15 minutes into OCCT 1 hour stability testing and the load temps are between 48-49 degrees C. I'm betting that when the i5 comes out the 965 will drop to the price of a 955. I think the temps are getting a little too high for my comfort for a 24/7 overclock. Just seeing where it will go and then I'll set it back to 3.8Ghz or so.

:blink: 50 C is a perfectly acceptable load temp using Linpack...hell, that's cooler than my 720 ran at STOCK. :lol:

4Ghz failed @ 20 minutes of OCCT testing. Tried 1.5v, 1.525v, and 1.55v. Not going to happen I'm afraid. Dropped it down to a 19x multiplier so it's @ 3.8Ghz @1.45v and a temp of 45 degrees C under full load. At least there was a decent suicide run out of it.

Checked the CPU support list on my Biostar TA790GXB and it doesn't support the 965 or the 955. Looks like the 140W TDP may be too high for it. That board has performed like a champ but it always makes me nervous. Kept the 2nd 940 and left it in that board. Maybe I'll pick up a Crosshair III in the future and drop the other 965 in that board.

I don't know what AMD was thinking with the stock heatsink. The fan is even smaller than the stock heatsink from a 940. It's so weak looking I didn't even give it a go, just threw it back in the box and put it into storage.

:blink: 50 C is a perfectly acceptable load temp using Linpack...hell, that's cooler than my 720 ran at STOCK. :lol:

I run Rosetta@Home(similar to Folding@Home) and keep my CPUs at near 100% load 24/7/365. I know 50 degrees C isn't going to hurt anything I just don't want my house turned into an oven during the summer months and with 4PCs running all of the time they have a tendency to bleed a lot of heat into the air. I try to find a sweet spot so to speek that keeps me comfortable and my PCs worry free. I assure you it's not any unwarranted anxiety over moderate heat loads. Electrical usage is a whole other concern.

Edited by rourkchris

Yup, if you read Alan's review, he got 1913MHz fully stable, same for me. I suicided at 4200MHz though... on air...

I saw your post in the review announcement. That review was a big reason I bought 2 965s. I would have liked to see a better aftermarket cooler used but that's just nitpicking a good review. I have what I feel is a very good CPU cooler and my results are nearly the same.

I should add that this is multiplier increased overclocking only. My Asus M4A79 Deluxe really limits me to that as the bus speed just won't budge 1Mhz without stability issues.

Edited by rourkchris

Dropped it down to a 19x multiplier so it's @ 3.8Ghz @1.45v and a temp of 45 degrees C under full load.

Is your room freezing cold or something? Those load temps are amazingly low...

Is your room freezing cold or something? Those load temps are amazingly low...

Quite the opposite really. It's 80 degrees F ambient right now. High humidity exacerbates the heat issues quite a bit. I think the Prolimatech coolers with 2 110CFM fans are what keeps the temps low. None of my systems are currently inside of cases either.

My 940@ 3.6Ghz is currently at 37 degrees C , Q9550 #1 @ 3.4Ghz is 45,42,44,44, Q9550 #2 @ 3.4Ghz is 47,45,45,45, and the 965 @ 3.8Ghz is still @ 45 degrees C. All @ 100% full load.

Edited by rourkchris

3.8Ghz passed 1 hour OCCT testing with temps never exceeding 45C @ 1.45v. Testing 3913Mhz now @ 1.45v. with the RAM @ it's rated speed of 1066. If it passes I'll give 4Ghz another try as I'd like just one PC that will do 4Ghz 24/7.

3.9Ghz passed stability testing. At 4Ghz i've tried 1.45v,1.475v, 1.4875v, and 1.5v. Everything crashes pretty quickly until 1.5v. Testing it now and hope it passes. Temps at full load right now are 48-49C. Right about where they were when I tried 1.525 and failed. So far it's 15 minutes in which is close to where it failed last time.

Failed at the 20 minute mark. Trying 1.5125 now with load temps @ 49-50C.

Edited by rourkchris