Upgrading with no direction

Right now, I have a NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GS graphics card, and I'm looking for an upgrade so I can play new games on my PC. My biggest issue is that I really don't know anything about computers, so I really don't know if I need to do anything beyond buying a graphics card and installing it. The highest I'm willing to spend is about $180 and I've found an ATI Radeon HD 4870 for about that price. Would this be a good idea for an upgrade based on what I'm looking for and my budget? Also, would size or temperature be an issue with this? The specific one I'm looking at is here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...Tech-_-14102815

Just in case it's important, I have an AMD Phenom 8550 Triple-Core Processor (~2.2 GHz)

Right now, I have a NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GS graphics card, and I'm looking for an upgrade so I can play new games on my PC. My biggest issue is that I really don't know anything about computers, so I really don't know if I need to do anything beyond buying a graphics card and installing it. The highest I'm willing to spend is about $180 and I've found an ATI Radeon HD 4870 for about that price. Would this be a good idea for an upgrade based on what I'm looking for and my budget? Also, would size or temperature be an issue with this? The specific one I'm looking at is here:

Just in case it's important, I have an AMD Phenom 8550 Triple-Core Processor (~2.2 GHz)

What resolution is your monitor?

What kind of games to you tend to play?

What resolution is your monitor?

What kind of games to you tend to play?

My resolution is 1680 x 1050, and I'll be buying Dragon Age: Origins when it comes out, if that's any help. I already own Crysis: Warhead and can surprisingly run that on medium/medium low settings. In general, I'm gonna start buying more games for my PC because I just find a lot of games better on the PC than my 360.

first you need a high quality psu..for that card i think at least 550w ..just make sure that it has 6-pin,8-pin..as for games if you play at 1920*1080 or higher and you are playing crysis then this card will do you just fine ..if you play at 1024*768,1280*1024,1440*900 and you play crysis or any game then i think it will be a waste so get 4850....in another words if you have 19` display => 4850...if you have a 22` or bigger =>4870 ...just remeber the psu ....and about size if your case can take 10 inch card then it is ok ..good luck

note : if you don`t play crysis ,far cry 2 ,bioshock... you don`t need a very powerful card ..4770 is very good

Hey there..

I myself just ordered all new parts for a system build except the video card but I can tell you a way to get more for your money.

Im sure you have heard about bing.com by now but if you havent it is microsoft's seearch engine. Anyway they have something called bing cashback and both newegg and zipzoomfly both participate in this program. if you use bing and go to newegg you will get 6% cashback I think after 30-60 days but if you use zipzoomfly you get back 20%. So it might afford you to be able to get the 4890 instead of the 4870 which has lower temps and can be OC more. there are much more techie hardware guys here that can chime in but I thought I would let you know about it. Anyway good luck with your decision.

At this point, it's between a $150 HD 4870 with VaporX and a $130 HD 4870 from XFX with a double lifetime warranty. However, the one with VaporX also has 1 GB of memory where the XFX has 512 MB. What do you guys think?

Edited by whichonespink73

At this point, it's between a $150 HD 4870 with VaporX and a $130 HD 4870 from XFX with a double lifetime warranty. However, the one with VaporX also has 1 GB of memory where the XFX has 512 MB. What do you guys think?

well since you put it that way, I see no reason not to get the 1GB. The memory alone justified the price :D