1st post > Newbe with an I7 build

P.TRIV

Hi all

I've been snooping for weeks gleaning great stuff from the lot, wonderful forum. Anyway I do work and play on computers but have never built one to date and after reading thru the material here it sorta seems dumb not to.

Here is a list of parts I'm considering the only thing I've ordered so far is the hard drive

(it went on sale w/free shipping)....please feel free to poke sticks at me like I said I'm a newbe but looking fwd to building this so any help is appreciated and this looks to be a great place to get that help.

CASE: COOLER MASTER ATCS 840 Full Tower (ordered)

HARD DRIVE: (ORDERED) Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 SATA 1.5TB 7200 RPM

would a smaller drive for the OS & programs be a good thing, using the larger

drive for data? I've seen a few posts on this but I'm still not too clear with it.

#2 (ORDERED) Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200

Motherboard: ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 ORDERED

PSU: CORSAIR 850TX ORDERED

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 ORDERED

CPU Cooler: NOCTUA NH-U12P SE 2 FAN ORDERED

Video Card: EVGA 896-P3-1171-AR GeForce GTX 275 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448- bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 SLI Supported

Memory: mushkin 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

ORDERED

I'd like to put a tv card into it as well....stop paying for TVVO!

suggestions on these cards would be nice. I can't seem to find one with dual digital tuners they seem to pair them with an analog tuner or maybe I just don't understand the terms.

Oh I like to convert videos, some gaming, multitasking while surfing....heck I just like a

screamer!

Edited by P.TRIV

Save yourself the money and disappointment of Vista Ultimate. You get nothing extra over Vista Premium. Skip the Zalman cooler. They're overpriced and underperform. I don't think they even come into the top 20 in i7 cooler testing/roundups.

Edited by rourkchris

Rourkchris

Thanks for the input. I'd not done allot of research on the coolers the Zalman sold me on

looks alone! I'll look for that testing list you spoke of. The Vista I may have been misinformed but

I thought it gave me the full multimedia package....I'll take a closer look at that as well.

Major Gamer

Thank you for the warm welcome...I did forget to post the PSU, I was considering the

CORSAIR 850TX. I hope this is enough assuming down the road I up grade to SLI maybe a

few other bells and whistles blu-Ray, Fan controller......I can see this getting out of hand!

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=917

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?opti...2&Itemid=62

Just a few heatsink reviews. Good choice on the power supply.

I have Vista Ultimate on my main PC and Vista Premium on 2 others. I can't remember the last time I got an Ultimate exclusive update from Microsoft. I look every other month and there are no updates. It's been over a year since I got an Ultimate Exclusive update. The only thing "Ultimate" about Vista Ultimate over Vista Premium is the price and their profit margin. They really owe the public an apology on this in my opinion. Ultimate claims better security tools but I see no advantage. Ultimate claims better business applications. I don't see anything adventagous over Premium. As far as dreamscene I've never used it. I don't need a screensaver and certainly wouldn't pay an additional $80.00 for one if I did. The claimed exclusive Ultimate games, there's one and it's a steaming pile of dung-something with a robot pushing boxes that's not even well-animated. I could have saved $80.00 and put it into more hardware that had actual value. Hell the money saved will allow you a video card upgrade still within your current budget. That's a difference you can actually see.

You could upgrade to a GTX 275 Superclocked edition http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130478 and the Mushkin 6-7-6-18 Ram http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820226050 with the $80.00 in savings from switching to Premium from Ultimate and still have an extra $32.00 to invest in a better CPU cooler or a higher end case.

Edited by rourkchris

I recommend you getting the Gskill or Mushkin memory with the 6-7-6-18 timings (1600mhz)

and for your system drive, you ought get a nice 500GB Seagate 7200.12 or 500GB Western Digital Caviar Black

Welcome to OCC!!

Edited by IVIYTH0S

that powersupply is great i run it myself. as for the hdd i would stay away from seagate...just what i think wd's blacks are nice :)

do you want my VelociRaptor than, my dad's 500GB 7200.12 smokes it lol

Excellent choice on the cooler. Noctua always seem to get great reviews and are known for being quiet. I think you made a wise choice with Vista Premium and Upgrading to Windows 7. I regret my choice to buy Ultimate and Microsoft's unfulfilled promises all the time.

It looks like a great build in the making. THough the only Issue I have is the Video card. If there is money avalible in the budget I would recomend upgrading to the 280 or the 285. though the GTX 260 is a great card the latest and greatest is out there and suposedly there is a new batch of video cards on the horizon(so I have heard). You may want to get a smaller card (maybe a gts 250 for folding leter) and wait for the next generation of GPU's to arrive. Should be by the end of the year I belive.