Sign in to follow this  
EdVanSchleck

Undervolting AMD 4850E solves heat problem??

It almost sounds like the heat sink is not clamped down all the way on the CPU...

I agree, or like stated earlier the fan may be having problems - dust can clog the fins. is this the cheap stock heat sink with aluminum fins only?

I've seen voltage change temperatures that durastically, but only when there was a problem with the heat sink being incapable of passing the load- ie bad mount/fan not working properly/etc........

why did you turn CNQ off if your having heat problems?

Good idea shutting off C&Q it removes one more variable and has been known to be dodgy on many Mobo's, kudos.

You answered most of these questions in your first post and certainly the second, but as usual nobody reads the complete thread LMAO.

I feel bad for you having to hope someone really reads your thread and tries to help, but I can only offer this, since you made such a drastic voltage change, is there some possibility to now incrementally step up the voltage until it goes nuts, or does the heat seem to progress linearly as the voltage increases?

The reason I ask is I am wondering if there is some point where the voltage causes a sudden non linear increase in temperature.

Also didn't you say all was well for over a year with the exact same settings and then you had some failure/shutdown?

Edited by aairon

try 1.15 V at normal multiplier, a site here show that the 4850e voltage is rated at 1.15,1.2,1.25 V maybe it will work. run prime95 to test the stability and make sure the temp never reach 78 C. if the temp is still high try lowering the vcore 1 step at a time at normal multi and run prime95 until you find the lowest posibble vcore/temp or maybe you can just rma the chip :P i'm guessing the thing is still under the three year warranty

Hey guys,

Thanks for the massive feedback. In the next couple of days I will try some of your suggestions. Although I am beginning to believe that it would be a time saver to RMA the thing.

Edited by EdVanSchleck

UPDATE

Sorry for the late feedback. Maybe someone will find it interesting what was causing my problems.

After increasing the voltage bit by bit, I found a point at which the heatsink/fan was not able anymore to cool the chip. The only thing I had not tried was changing the heatsink, so I ordered a rather cheap one from arctic cooling which is designed for low wattage cpus. With the new heatsink, I experienced no more issues.

I inspected my old stock heatsink and found some cracks on it. Not like scratches which you would expect. So my only guess is right now a fatigue of material kind of thing.

Again thanks for every comment!

Cheers