Sign in to follow this  
EdVanSchleck

Undervolting AMD 4850E solves heat problem??

Cheers everyone,

I have encountered strange shut-downs of my sytem which was running stable for more than one year now. When I stress tested having an eye on the readings from the thermal sensors the heat from the cpu went up to 70

Edited by EdVanSchleck

When I put together a 4850e X2 with the almost the same board (740G), I had trouble with the thermal sensors. I tried a couple different programs, but they all read way too low (lower than ambient). What program are you using for reading the temperatures? I never remember any of my AMD cpu's going over 50C...ever.

What case are you using? Stock AMD, especially low power ones don't get very warm. If your case isn't very well ventilated, it could be the cause. If you have a tower, try taking the side off, and see what happens. :)

Thanks for the reply!

I checked the sensors with CPU-Z and also looked at the readings from the Bios. But regarding the sensors I am pretty sure that they are about right. You can even feel the heat coming from the heatsink without touching it.

My case is a Gigabyte iSolo with two fans which should be more than enough. Also running with an open case doesn't change anything.

What still puzzles me is that the undervolting had such a strong effect.

Edited by EdVanSchleck

A 30 degree C drop is drastic. What are you using to stress test? Maybe try Core Temp to see what it says and if it's different than your BIOS. I'd definitely get a good aftermarket cooler quickly.

I also think the drop is much more than one would normally expect. I will run some tests with the software you proposed and come back to you as soon as I have the results.

BTW, coult it be that by lowering the multiplyers a "faulty" part of the processor is taken out of what is used to do the work? Could that be an explanation?

Is the fan spinning properly? There's no way that CPU should get anywhere near 70 C even with stock cooling...

you might wanna try applying new TIM and check whether the fan run at normal speed, maybe the bearing dried out of lube... it should be around 3000-3500 RPM

Hey guys,

Some more experiments from my side. I am trying to implement the suggestions that you have made.

[...] What are you using to stress test? [...]

I am using prime95. According to "rourkchris" I am now using core temp to check the temperatures.

Is the fan spinning properly? There's no way that CPU should get anywhere near 70 C even with stock cooling...
you might wanna try applying new TIM and check whether the fan run at normal speed, maybe the bearing dried out of lube... it should be around 3000-3500 RPM

I double checked the TIM issue by cleaning and reapplying twice. Also I used two different fans on the heatsink to be sure that's not what is causing the problem.

Here are my results:

Stock settings (Vcore:1.25V, Core Speed 2.5GHz): Had to stop prime95 after about 10sec because both cores were already over 60

It almost sounds like the heat sink is not clamped down all the way on the CPU...

Thanks Waco, but I checked. The heat sink is clamped tightly to the CPU.

But I think if it was a problem related to proper heat dissipation than a .325V undervolting would not have such a huge effect. With this slight undervolt everything is totally fine, without it the CPU goes up in flames.