Sign in to follow this  
LobbDogg

Lack of Power? or defective video card?

I recently purchased a Geforce 275 gtx to put in my system, and it was fine for the first 4 days playing games etc, no problem. However, today it seems that the video was locking up while playing World of Warcraft numerous times, sometimes just barely after launching the game. After a few reboots and not having much luck, I put my 8800 gts back in to see if it was related to the video card, and after putting it back in, the system is now stable for the last few days. I have not overclocked anything.

At this point, I'm thinking it might be lack of power for that video card. I have a Corsair 520 watt modular power supply running 1 optical drive, 1x 300 gb sata hdd, 2x 1 tb sata hdd, tv tuner card, and Geforce 275 gtx. When I bought the power supply, I didn't have the 2 terrabyte hard drives, or the Geforce 275gtx. Processor is a Core2 Duo E6550

Anyone got any ideas which I should try first?

Edited by LobbDogg

Could be a bad card but with that little of a load I would think you would be fine with that PSU. Are you using a dual 4 pin molex to 6 pin adapter? if so try to make sure the two 6 pin connections are not on the same rail to try some load balancing before condemning the card.

Could be a bad card but with that little of a load I would think you would be fine with that PSU. Are you using a dual 4 pin molex to 6 pin adapter? if so try to make sure the two 6 pin connections are not on the same rail to try some load balancing before condemning the card.

I'm running dual 6 pin connectors direct from the power supply into the video card, each connector is on its own line back to the PSU. The power supply is modular, so I just had to add one more from the power supply.

Edited by LobbDogg

The only game I play is WoW, so that is hard to say. While at the Windows desktop, everything appeared to be fine, however I didn't test out any videos or anything 3D, but video would become unresponsive within 2 minutes of launching WoW.

At this point, I have not tested temperatures. BUt I do have a 120mm fan blowing directly across the video card.

The only game I play is WoW, so that is hard to say. While at the Windows desktop, everything appeared to be fine, however I didn't test out any videos or anything 3D, but video would become unresponsive within 2 minutes of launching WoW.

At this point, I have not tested temperatures. BUt I do have a 120mm fan blowing directly across the video card.

If WoW is ALL you play, why did you upgrade? Was the 8800 not able to handle it?

If the PSU you have is the HX520, then its fine. I have that same PSU, and it runs my system perfectly.

Do some more testing, like using 3DMark, and maybe a run of OCCT to establish if the GPU is ok. Also, try latest drivers from nVidia's site.

I got a chance to put the video card back in my system last night and so far it seems to be working fine.

I downloaded Furmark and let that run for about 10 minutes to see if it would stay stable using the stability test. It ran without any problems and seemed to top out at around 92 degrees celcius according to Furmark.

I'm now thinking power supply is not the issue, but maybe it was getting quite warm. I rarely ever turn my system off, usually just leave it at the desktop, and when I started having the instability issues, it had been on for about 4 days straight. I'll have to keep my eye on it and see if it starts to happen again after having it on for a while.

And yes, I have downloaded the lastest drivers...as well as tried one set of older drivers when the problem came up initially.

I'm now thinking power supply is not the issue, but maybe it was getting quite warm. I rarely ever turn my system off, usually just leave it at the desktop, and when I started having the instability issues, it had been on for about 4 days straight. I'll have to keep my eye on it and see if it starts to happen again after having it on for a while.

Leaving it running won't hurt it, something else is amiss.

Usually when video cards aren't getting enough power. You should get a popup from Windows or video card drive software saying such. At least it did when my 8800 GTS was unplugged once.

Edited by Krazyxazn

Long time no see Lobbdogg!

When I first saw this I thought it may be heat related... but that shouldn't make it quit all together like that - at least artifact or something. And you mentioned that it happens immediately. I had an x1900 that did that - resinked it and set up a fan profile on ati-tool to override the stock non-blowing one and took care of that.

@Krazy: Yours didn't let out a piezo squeal? Mine blew my ears off lol

But yeah I'm at a loss at this point.