S-video To Vga Converter

CoolBlue

hey this is a quick question but i googled it and came up with nothing. Is there such a thing as a s-video to vga converter? i have a radeon 7000 with vga and s-video out and i want to know if i can hook up another monitor to it:/ any help?

**edit**

i know they make ones that convert a lot of stuff, but thats not what i need and i dont have the cash. something under 20 bucks that will simply convert these two signals... :bah:

Edited by CoolBlue

i know there is to standard video cables for tv. but i do not think that there are svid to vga. i could be mistaken. I wouldent however use 2 monitors on your card because your going to notice a big preformance drop. w/ your card.

I'm no expert by any means in this but I would think a HUGE drop in performance because the card would have to process twice the information.. I could be way off so don't hold me to what I've said (typed, actually :P).

heres a pdf brochure on your card. http://www.ati.com/products/brochures/R7000Brochure.pdf

If you look on the second page it says.

Available configurations

vga only output

vga and tv/vcr output

This applies to all the different pci and agp flavors of this card.

So my comclusion is...

Sorry bub. No multiple monitor for you ;(

Edited by andrusk

Sorry bub. No multiple monitor for you ;(

first of all, thanks for lookin that up. i guess mine would be the 64mb one with vga and tv/vcr out, so i could power a tv and a monitor with it. what my goal was was to change the tv out (svideo) to a vga output, that was i could use it with the other monitor that i have lying around.

imma be sad if i cant get my multi monitor :(

maybe i should get that new geforce xt card coming out? :unsure:

youd definetly be better off buring a new video card. And as far as converting the tv signal to a monitor signal, I will say that anything is possible, but i have never hard of that being done.

Edited by andrusk

youd definetly be better off buring a new video card. And as far as converting the tv signal to a monitor signal, I will say that anything is possible, but i have never hard of that being done.

lol maybe i should try... jk

what about the nvidia 5900xt? good price and good card, plus i feel drawn to nvidia for some reason :P what i need is a good dx9 card that will run hl2 <_<

what i need is a good dx9 card that will run hl2 <_<

If thats what your lookin for your lookin in the wrong direction with that geforce crap.

Depending on how much you wanna spend will determince which card you should buy. Id recommend either a 9600 xt, 9800 pro, 9800 xt, or if you lookin for a good deal, zipzoomfly has a 9700 pro for 209 dollars.

Theres some good cards to choose from its just a matter of picking the right one.

oh yeah, and if i didnt already mention it (which i did) dont buy an nvidia fx card.

Ask anyone around here why not and theyll all give you the same answer. Nvidia royally screwed up the architecture of the geforcefx cards to the point of where the programers have to tweak the dx9 code just to get the game to run effeciently. If you look at the banchmarks at any review site youll see that the fx cards can hold their own against dx8 based games, but then when they throw the dx9 benches in there, the ati really pulls ahead and leaves nvidia crying in a cloud of dust. Some nvidia fan boys will still try to tell you otherwise, but just check the benchmarks for yourself and youll see. Believe it or not we actually have a pinned thread in this forum that deals with the ati vs. nvidia issue. http://forums.overclockersclub.com/?showtopic=16344

yes and you were mentioning the xt cards from nvidia, u probably already know this but just in case u dont... IMO that was a trick to noobs, the XT cards from ati are the best of their class, u would figure it would be the same with nvidia. WRONG, the xt cards are like the se cards, they are the low end of there class.

maybe thats what you were looking for, just wanted to make sure u knew before you made a decision. :D

oh btw, running a dual monitor on my card only dropped 3dmark scores about 100 pts for me, not that big of a performance drop imo.

and if you want, you can go and get an old 16mb pci card and put it in also with your 7000, then use the other card as a secondary monitor, thats what i was doing before i got my 9800pro.

Edited by sYstEmATiC