Beeping, can't turn on

Harijan

Hi guys,

Ok, so all the parts finally arrived for this thing I'm building.

I put it all together, and when I turn on the PSU, the computer begins to emit a series of beeps. 3 long repeating.

3 long, pause, 3 long, pause and so fourth about 4 or 5 times before going silent.

I can't turn on the comp, when I press the power button, the HDD light stays on whilst I have the power button pressed, but goes off and nothing happens when I release it.

In case it helps, the hardware is as follows:

Motherboard: Tyan Thunder K8WE

Processors: Dual Opteron 280's (with sunbeam core contact freezers)

PSU: Corsair TX850W

RAM: 4x 1G PC3200 DDR 400 mhz Samsung ECC/ Registered memory

Case: Chieftec SH-01B-B-B Smart Series ATX/EATX Mid Tower

HDD: Seagate barracude 72.12 500gb 7200 rpm 16mb

I tried calling Tyan, but they're currently closed. I, obviously, wish to get this working as soon as possible

Please please help me work through this and get it working, or help me figure out what's wrong, or why I'm an idiot.

Cheers,

-Harijan

Hi guys,

Ok, so all the parts finally arrived for this thing I'm building.

I put it all together, and when I turn on the PSU, the computer begins to emit a series of beeps. 3 long repeating.

3 long, pause, 3 long, pause and so fourth about 4 or 5 times before going silent.

I can't turn on the comp, when I press the power button, the HDD light stays on whilst I have the power button pressed, but goes off and nothing happens when I release it.

In case it helps, the hardware is as follows:

Motherboard: Tyan Thunder K8WE

Processors: Dual Opteron 280's (with sunbeam core contact freezers)

PSU: Corsair TX850W

RAM: 4x 1G PC3200 DDR 400 mhz Samsung ECC/ Registered memory

Case: Chieftec SH-01B-B-B Smart Series ATX/EATX Mid Tower

HDD: Seagate barracude 72.12 500gb 7200 rpm 16mb

I tried calling Tyan, but they're currently closed. I, obviously, wish to get this working as soon as possible

Please please help me work through this and get it working, or help me figure out what's wrong, or why I'm an idiot.

Cheers,

-Harijan

Have you made sure everything is seated Correctly on the Mobo? it could be that one of the RAM sticks is loose, or the CPU heatsink is not in propper contact.

Have you made sure everything is seated Correctly on the Mobo? it could be that one of the RAM sticks is loose, or the CPU heatsink is not in propper contact.

Yes, I have seated everything correctly, I just checked.

I tried pulling all the RAM out and the same thing happens.

It is when I turn on the power on the back of the PSU that the beeping occurs, not upon powering on the computer. I cannot actually power on the computer at this time, as described in the first post.

Attatched a PS2 Keyboard. Same story.

As soon as PSU is turned on from behind, 3 long beeps repeating start to emit.

CANNOT turn computer on and get to POST.

Pressing power button has no response other than keep HDD activity light on for duration of button push.

Attatched a PS2 Keyboard. Same story.

As soon as PSU is turned on from behind, 3 long beeps repeating start to emit.

CANNOT turn computer on and get to POST.

Pressing power button has no response other than keep HDD activity light on for duration of button push.

Only thing I can think of is to check the jumpers, power connections and case headers.. and make sure the heatsinks aren't touching anything on the MB.. also if the board is mounted in the case try removing it and setting it on something non conductive and see if it will power up..might be getting shorted from somewhere..

Only thing I can think of is to check the jumpers, power connections and case headers.. and make sure the heatsinks aren't touching anything on the MB.. also if the board is mounted in the case try removing it and setting it on something non conductive and see if it will power up..might be getting shorted from somewhere..

Hmm, good idea. I'll try the mobo removal.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm going to have a big troubleshooting session tommorow to finally determine if it is something simple, a component, or whether the motherboard is a useless piece of junk. I'll post the conclusions when I come to them

That's really odd to get beeping before you try turning it on. I'll second the suggestion to remove it from the case and try bare minimum components...

One CPU, on stick of RAM, a graphics card (or onboard if you're using it), and the power supply should be enough to get you into BIOS, if you're just seeing if you can get it to start, you can skip the graphics card and see if it gets to the step where the motherboard looks for a graphical interface (different beeps)

Also, check through the motherboard manual, beeps are usually documented as what is what.

Good luck :)

Ok. I wasn't going looney.

I tried everything. 1 stick of this, only one cpu, no peripherals, call tyan, confused their techs, etc etc.

In the end, after everything, I decided it was the board.

On one tiny little corner you can see that some components are damaged/ missing. The nincompoop who owned the board before me obviously ripped it out of the case it was in and damaged these very important components. Therefore, I believe the memory wasn't getting power, or at least wasn't working properly. This was causing the beeps that most closely resembled a no memory error.

So anyway, that board sits in a corner until I can be bothered to try to fix it or toss it off of the tallest building I can find.

Acquired a new board exactly the same that works perfectly. Hooray. Headache OVER.

Thanks for the suggestions etc guys.