need crossfire help.....

slarsen83

so i recieved my other 4870 today and plunked it in.....and i think i did what i had to do (uninstalled all previous versions of catalyst) and installed 9.8 on my system...... howver neither of my graphics cards (sapphire 4870 iGB) cam with instructions so i am a bit confused as to what to do here......i tried plugging my monitor into the same 4870 as before and with one and two bridges connected neither are giving me ANY increase in performance..... tried to look around online and i seen someone said to enable the crossfire X logo to come on and see from there.... all i can say is WOW i am suffering a MAJOR hit in graphics performance, i used to run 3dmark06 NO problems and get a score of 14,500's, now i can't even make it through the first test, constantly at 10F FPS or LESS

can someone please explain to me (since i didn't get instructions and can't find proper ones off of sapphire) in plain english, how to set this up??? which DVI port do i use, and what can i do to improve my performance?

i swear i have looked around, just can't seem to get a simple n00b answer, and i never had the manual to begin with

P.S. i also took my CPU and voltage settings back to stock to avoid any problems there any other info is in my sig. if you need more info i iwll gladly put it up thank you!

Edited by slarsen83

so i recieved my other 4870 today and plunked it in.....and i think i did what i had to do (uninstalled all previous versions of catalyst) and installed 9.8 on my system...... howver neither of my graphics cards (sapphire 4870 iGB) cam with instructions so i am a bit confused as to what to do here......i tried plugging my monitor into the same 4870 as before and with one and two bridges connected neither are giving me ANY increase in performance..... tried to look around online and i seen someone said to enable the crossfire X logo to come on and see from there.... all i can say is WOW i am suffering a MAJOR hit in graphics performance, i used to run 3dmark06 NO problems and get a score of 14,500's, now i can't even make it through the first test, constantly at 10F FPS or LESS

can someone please explain to me (since i didn't get instructions and can't find proper ones off of sapphire) in plain english, how to set this up??? which DVI port do i use, and what can i do to improve my performance?

i swear i have looked around, just can't seem to get a simple n00b answer, and i never had the manual to begin with

P.S. i also took my CPU and voltage settings back to stock to avoid any problems there any other info is in my sig. if you need more info i iwll gladly put it up thank you!

Perhaps the new card is faulty. I would try that card by itself and see what happens. I recently added a 2nd 4870 and I didn't have to change anything. Scores close to 14000 in Vantage. As far as the port to plug the monitor, I left that where it was without a problem. I would start with the newest card by itself. As far as the bridges go supposedly you need both with 2 cards. That's how I have mine.

ok, update..... got the 2nd 4870 working, was a loose power cable

however with the second 4870, in 3dmark 06 i only get about 14932, where i was getting 14400's before with one card.....does that seem right?

ok, update..... got the 2nd 4870 working, was a loose power cable

however with the second 4870, in 3dmark 06 i only get about 14932, where i was getting 14400's before with one card.....does that seem right?

No sure doesn't. What is the rest of the machine's specs?

sorry, unless i am missing sometihng..... all the info is in my sig ecept for the CPU OC....... i took it back to 3.1 till the weather calm down here, room temp gets way too high

will run right now @ 3.1 w/ two cards and tell you score

just got 15163 (3dmark 06)

will check and see if that seems right to you guys when i get home from work!

Edited by slarsen83

sorry, unless i am missing sometihng..... all the info is in my sig ecept for the CPU OC....... i took it back to 3.1 till the weather calm down here, room temp gets way too high

will run right now @ 3.1 w/ two cards and tell you score

just got 15163 (3dmark 06)

will check and see if that seems right to you guys when i get home from work!

Still seems low to me. I don't know much about the AMD processors these days since I am not a fan. All I can say is similar 3ghz Intel Quad systems get around 20k on 3dmark06. I haven't run 06 in a while. I will see what I score tonight.

Edited by InCrYsIs

Still seems low to me. I don't know much about the AMD processors these days since I am not a fan. All I can say is similar 3ghz Intel Quad systems get around 20k on 3dmark06. I haven't run 06 in a while. I will see what I score tonight.

Hes got a pretty good dual core setup.

i dont know much about 3dmark but i dont think you got a high enough boost from adding that second card.

did you try reinstalling older versions of catalyst?

make you sure you completely cleaned the old drivers out.

try the new card by itself, make sure it isnt faulty.

hmmmmm i just don't have a good driver cleaner, (being cheap and all LOL) any free ones recommended? i heard too once you get it all off then you try it first with one card, then install driver, then shutdown, then reinstall other card (which i did not do) and enable crossfire through CCC

hmmmmm i just don't have a good driver cleaner, (being cheap and all LOL) any free ones recommended? i heard too once you get it all off then you try it first with one card, then install driver, then shutdown, then reinstall other card (which i did not do) and enable crossfire through CCC

I use driver sweeper. Works well.