Need help with mobo choice

Hello everyone,

Since my last build and the ending of the DIY site, I haven't been very active on the forum. :unsure:

Now I want to build a new rig and I'm having some difficulties choosing an new mobo and Video Card.

I want to build a rig with the following:

CPU: Intel Core I7 950

CPU Cooler: Prolimatech Megahalem (not planning to go on water again)

Mem: Corsair Dominator DDR3, 6GB kit, 9-9-9-24-2T (TR3X6G1866C9DF)

Mobo: ?????

Video Card: ?????

PSU: ????? ( I have a Corsair 620HX, but I don't think it will be enough)

HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F1 750GB (HD753LJ)

Case: Antec Twelve Hundred

For the mobo I'm thinking about the DFI UT X58-T3EH8 or the Foxconn Bloodrage. (been thinking about a Gigabyte GA-EX58-EXTREME too)

The DFI is hard to get in the Netherlands (only one distributor), and the Foxconn has got enough distributors but isn't in stock anywhere. I have a DFI now and it worked fine for me. I have no experience with Foxconn at all. I've had a Gigabyte a long time ago, and I see there doing well in the tests too. But as said I've been out since my last build (see my sig)

I do not really have some kind of budget. I just want to build a nice system. So any idea is appreciated.

Thanx in advance.

what about asus rampage ii extreme ..or evga x58 and the msi ..and for the ex58 -extreme i say it is the best even the ud5 i have and it is very very very overclockable ....for mb i always look for these ( asus ,gigabyte,msi ,evga,xfx) i don`t know any thing for any other brand ...

for the gpu which one do you like ATI or Nvidia ..

Nvidia : gtx 295 ,285 ,275 you can have one or do SLI

ATI : 4890 ,4870,4870x2 again you can have one or do crossfire/x

it is waste having 2 ,3 or 4 pcie 2.0 without using them ...don`t mind my sig i will get the gtx 300 when it comes out ...but

for now i say run one card then when the new 58... and gtx 300 come get these and run sli/crossfire if you want ..i think it is a month till the 5800 come out...

A 4770 or 4850 should suffice or maybe 4870 at the max... I havd lost track of nvidia tho..

Asus boards are good for oc on air too... And Dont title them OCers only... Consider them too.. Gigabytes are good too.. Cant think of better x58 boards..

Psu seems good for the config...

Consider lower latency ram.. I guess ocz has some...

• 2 weeks later...
have all the other hardware choices been ordered already??

Sorry for the late response. I've been on holiday for 10 days.

I've made my choices for the hardware. Maybe another PSU have to be ordered.

This is what I've ordered:

CPU: Intel Core I7 920 (seems the 950 isn't much of an OC-er)

CPU Cooler: Prolimatech Megahalem (not planning to go on water again)

Mem: Corsair Dominator GT DDR3, 6GB kit, CL7-8-7-24 (CMG6GX3M3A1866C7)

Mobo: EVGA X58 Classified

Video Card: EVGA GTX275 1792MB

PSU: ????? ( I have a Corsair 620HX, but I don't think it will be enough)

HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F1 750GB (HD753LJ)

Case: Antec Twelve Hundred

Maybe I'll go for SLI later on. But this is what I've ordered.

You should be happy with the flexibility and overclocking features of the Classified... I'm seriously thinking of getting one myself even though I have a MSI Eclipse! You do know that the Classified is an EATX board, not ATX and the Antec Twelve Hundred can only accommodate an ATX motherboard at most. Hope you can change your order!

The HX620W will be more than enough for one GTX275, they require about 150W maximum. It would run two but due to the shortage of PCI-E connectors I would recommend an upgrade if you decide to go SLI. The HX620 only has two 6+2 PCI-E connectors and you would need a total of four 6 pin PCI-E connectors for two GTX275 cards. I'm not a big fan of using adapter cables and in this case you'd need two!

Cheers

Paul

You should be happy with the flexibility and overclocking features of the Classified... I'm seriously thinking of getting one myself even though I have a MSI Eclipse! You do know that the Classified is an EATX board, not ATX and the Antec Twelve Hundred can only accommodate an ATX motherboard at most. Hope you can change your order!

Euh..... Never heard of an EATX board. I've already bought the antec a while back. The EVGA is also arrived. But it seems to fit in the antec. I didn't mount it completely, but I'll try first thing tomorrow. Are the mounts different?

What should be the problem exactly?

Never noticed that the EVGA is a EATX.

Edited by WR6X

The HX620W will be more than enough for one GTX275, they require about 150W maximum. It would run two but due to the shortage of PCI-E connectors I would recommend an upgrade if you decide to go SLI. The HX620 only has two 6+2 PCI-E connectors and you would need a total of four 6 pin PCI-E connectors for two GTX275 cards. I'm not a big fan of using adapter cables and in this case you'd need two!

Cheers

Paul

Thanx paul. The outervision calculator isn't opening here. So I can't calculate anything. What PSU do you recommend?

Grtz Erik

Thanx paul. The outervision calculator isn't opening here. So I can't calculate anything. What PSU do you recommend?

Grtz Erik

I have found that many calculators tend to be on the high side. ;)

I'd approximate your system would pull about 350W with one GTX275 and 500W with two GTX275's under heavy loading. The HX620W would handle it but the use of two 4 pin peripheral to 6 pin PCI-E connectors isn't advisable, a shame really.

There are many great power supplies out there by OCZ, Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Thermaltake, etc. so just find one with the necessary connectors and I'd recommend a single 12V rail in this case.

I recently tested the Corsair HX750W here and it's definately worth your consideration.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Paul