3rd timed 4890 not available Maybe for a reason???

SmokinU

Well hello again all,

I jsut recently ordered all my parts for my new pc build and unknown to me the video card that I selected (one of the new OC 4890's from MSI) wont be available untill the 24th of August, which is holding up my whole order. So I had them cancel the video card. Then today I read where the new DX11 cards may be out on Sep 10th.... So was this fate stepping in and saving me from spend $$$ on a card that in less than a month could drop alot in price??? Who knows... But that leaves me with a question for you all.

Currently I have a 8600 GPU that um well blows BUT I was considering waiting untill the new cards come out and the old ones drop in price since it may be a lil sooner than a month away. Or whoudl I just say to heck with it and order now. lol

For some reason this is the 3rd time I have ordered a 4890 to have issues with availability or after order I get a call saying sorry we are out of that certain model. How would you feel about this? Could it be that a 4890 is not ment to be for me and perhaps Nvidia is calling me. (too bad the green dont look good with my red/black theme rofl :rolleyes:

Im in a similar situation where i dont want to upgrade my current pc,but find a lot of deals difficult to resist.Im just about holding out though.Im waiting for core i5 and ATI DX11.I suggest you do the same.The new dx11 cards will probably destroy dx10 based games with their increased shader count and stuff,so imo its pointless to spend

Yeah I guess I should wait. it is jsut a shame to put that POS GPU in the rig Im building. Sigh... I prob wont buy the new DX11 cards becuase they will more than likely cost Waaaayyy too much but maybe I could buy more GPU for my buck once they hit they street. Oh well ... thanks for all the replies

Mahalo

Unless the most 3D graphics you do is 3D pie-charts in Excel, treat yourself to a graphics card... maybe a GTX275 if the HD4890 is so low-supply...

If you go with a BFG or EVGA (maybe others) you can trade it in within 3 months for a newer model

Yeah I guess I should wait. it is jsut a shame to put that POS GPU in the rig Im building. Sigh... I prob wont buy the new DX11 cards becuase they will more than likely cost Waaaayyy too much but maybe I could buy more GPU for my buck once they hit they street. Oh well ... thanks for all the replies

Mahalo

I'd be very surprised if ATi didn't have multiple cards at the launch. I would assume a Radeon 5870 and 5850 at least. I'd be willing to bet the 5850 would fall into the $200 range while the 5870 would be north of $250 (very similar to the 4800's launch).

And what is this I keep hearing about them being near 50% faster thank the current top dogs????

:blink: 50% faster then a 4890... but that would pwn my new 4870x2 im buying! can anyone put some credability to these claims?!