Can't repair sys file and bsods

MisFiT_

I have this old Compaq with some important files I need off of it, but here is the problem.

There's a system 32 file deleted so the computer won't get past the post (won't get to the Windows screen) and it says a file is missing or corrupt.

So it says I can repair the file with the OS disc (I don't have the original OS disc to the Compaq so I'm using another Windows XP disc). Shouldn't it be able to repair it since it's a windows 32 file and the same Windows 32 file's are on all the same Windows XP operating systems?

So I try to repair and it can't, instead it BSODS every time and this is the BSOD code.. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297185

I have basically done all of that, mostly I think? Any other ideas pertaining to this? I have tried to repair but it BSODS and it can't start up normally.

Have you tried re-connecting your cables to the hard drive and motherboard.

Seeming as it sounds it's unmountable, I guess trying to use Knoppix (Linux Boot OS disc) probably won't work but worth a try.

Basically Knoppix is an linux OS that you burn on a disc. It will let you boot into Knoppix and from there you will see all your hard drives and have access to them, if they are mountable.

Have you tried this through the console from the install disc:

Some things that you should know before you try this solution

* If the file system is damaged, you can use chkdsk /r command to repair the volume. However, if you use the chkdsk /r command, you may lose some data.

Or does going into the console also give a BSOD?

Edited by Krazyxazn

Well if youre just looking to get files off of it... then knoppix will let you boot up and see the drive - after which you can just hook up a flash drive and pull the files right off.

If not, you could try a dirty install... installing XP right over the old installation w/o formatting.

When I try to go into safe mode with console it displays the file deleted error. If I try to run the recovery the BSOD happens. I need to somehow solve the BSOD error to run the recovery but the steps from microsoft haven't solved it (I haven't done all of them but still..)

Thank you