Help me make a final decision on a GPU please!

SenitaL

Hi all, well as you probably already know im looking to buy a Sapphire HD4890 Vapor-X 2gb to complete my system, but after near on a month waiting the prices here STILL have not stabilized (nearly double the rrp!). Here is the dilema im facing:

- I can pick up a HD4870x2 for around the same price that the stores want for the toxic vaporX which is arround 220GBP give or take (very tempting!)

- I can pick up a Sapphire HD4890 Toxic 1gb for arround 200GBP again give or take (tempting!)

- I really want to get my hands on a HD4890x2, its confirmed that there will be one releaced and everyones guess is that sapphire will be the ones releacing a 4gb version with a 1000mhz core clock.

The thing is my patience is wearing thin, i hav'nt been able to game for some time now after selling both my HD3870 and my 8800GTS and im dying to get back to playing my games!

So as much as i Really Really want to, i dont think i can wait for a 4890x2, that could take another month or more! add to that a horrendous price pemium which ive come to expect from this country ( :angry2: ), and to add more insult give a month ontop and the new HD5XXX cards will be out, so thats such a bummer :(

Well here it is crystal clear - i need your help OCC! which card would you choose? from the Best Performance to price perspective Just to be clear, I play a Multitude of games so there really is no point in choosing a card based on that factor, your imput is highly valued, many thanks :)

Edited by SenitaL

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all, well as you probably already know im looking to buy a Sapphire HD4890 Vapor-X 2gb to complete my system, but after near on a month waiting the prices here STILL have not stabilized (nearly double the rrp!). Here is the dilema im facing:

- I can pick up a HD4870x2 for around the same price that the stores want for the toxic vaporX which is arround 220GBP give or take (very tempting!)

- I can pick up a Sapphire HD4890 Toxic 1gb for arround 200GBP again give or take (tempting!)

- I really want to get my hands on a HD4890x2, its confirmed that there will be one releaced and everyones guess is that sapphire will be the ones releacing a 4gb version with a 1000mhz core clock.

The thing is my patience is wearing thin, i hav'nt been able to game for some time now after selling both my HD3870 and my 8800GTS and im dying to get back to playing my games!

So as much as i Really Really want to, i dont think i can wait for a 4890x2, that could take another month or more! add to that a horrendous price pemium which ive come to expect from this country ( :angry2: ), and to add more insult give a month ontop and the new HD5XXX cards will be out, so thats such a bummer :(

Well here it is crystal clear - i need your help OCC! which card would you choose? from the Best Performance to price perspective Just to be clear, I play a Multitude of games so there really is no point in choosing a card based on that factor, your imput is highly valued, many thanks :)

Despite it's inability to overclock, I really like my 4870x2. Depending on whether you play beyond 1920x1080 is whether or not your should get either card. I recommend the 4980 for 1920x1080 and under and the 4870x2 for 1920x1200 and up.

Despite it's inability to overclock, I really like my 4870x2. Depending on whether you play beyond 1920x1080 is whether or not your should get either card. I recommend the 4980 for 1920x1080 and under and the 4870x2 for 1920x1200 and up.

Thanks for the responce IVIYTH0S, i love to max out my settings, i get a kick out of it and it adds to my experience of the game as everything looks super nice :) do you think i should just get a 4870x2, seeing as it has arround the same price tag as the other cards?

Edited by SenitaL

If its the same price of course you should but get like a Gainward because they come with that aftermarket cooler which i think cools it better then the stock one but if you dont care then nvm and get the cheapest one you can find.

If you really want to play now and want to have it last for awhile, then get the best card your budget will allow now. That way you can just add another one when you want more oomph in the future for cheap :)

Edited by Geekspeak411

Thanks for the reply's, i think ill just purchase a 4870x2 (asus trifan edition if i can) as this will give me the best performance in my games. One last question, have the drivers been ironed out for the x2's? i remember them having loads of problems to start off with, any issues i should still be made aware of when buying one?

Edited by SenitaL

Taking all into account I guess the 4870x2 WOULD be the best buy. My drivers have been rock solid, and I've ran every game perfectly so far

What about a GTX 295 co-op?

because it's like 30-40 more expensive (outta his budget), for a 10% higher performance

Thats lack of Skill LOL Mine clocked just fine.

Thanks for the reply's, i think ill just purchase a 4870x2 (asus trifan edition if i can) as this will give me the best performance in my games. One last question, have the drivers been ironed out for the x2's? i remember them having loads of problems to start off with, any issues i should still be made aware of when buying one?

Think twice on the 4870x2 Crossfire scaling is not always what it should be. Driver wise they are fine its just the crossfire support in games that is the problem. No user definable profiles

because it's like 30-40 more expensive (outta his budget), for a 10% higher performance

...except that the 295 is a MUCH faster card in a HUGE number of games even when Crossfire does work properly. When it doesn't...it's a bloodbath.

I'd buy a 295 over the 4870X2 any day if the prices were within $75 or so.

The last time I tested the two head to head I can count on 2 fingers the times that the 4870x2 beat a 295 with higher settings than I normally test with. The Toxic 1gb card is not a bad card. The 2gb helps in just a few games but for most there is not a benifit in my testing. GTA4 does allow for a greater distance setting with the additional memory.

test