Sign in to follow this  
Deathmineral

New Headphones

Well my current pair just broke and I had been wanting something better for a while now anyway but my budget is kind of tight so I was wondering if anyone here might be able to recommend me a good pair for $40 or less. Looking for a set that is large and good all around for gaming and music, preferably no mic though.

You can take a look at the Sennheiser HD 201 and 202, both would offer a good experience for under 40 dollars. You can also take a look at the EH 150 from Sennheiser, its a bit more but should offer even better sound for the price. Koss R-80s would also be a good consideration, though I'm unsure of how those sound. None of them have a mic and are either supra-aural or circumaural, they should be able to easily fit you.

I don't really know any good headphones for under $40, so I got these:

$50 you can get the Creative FATAL1TY headphones (detachable mic)

$65 you can get a recertified Audio Technica ATH-AD700 <- My vote (If I had money I would sweep these up and test them out. Quite a few audio/game lovers like them.)

I would suggest you save up some more.

Edited by Krazyxazn

The HD 201 looks to be good and fit my preference, and is only $20 on newegg at the moment so I think I'll give them a try, thanks for the help.

JVC RX700's are probably the best you can get for less than $40. From what I read, the AD700's would be way better for gaming because they have a better soundstage and sound positioning, but they are pretty lean in the bass department. I can guarantee that both are large and will make you look pretty silly.

Personally, I find the HD201/202 bass-lean, muffled, and boring (verging on horrible, I don't understand the praise)... and would much rather listen to the Koss PortaPro (also over the PX100)... but they aren't circumaural... although, I could wear them for hours on end though, and as long as open-backed isn't an issue, I'd wholeheartedly recommend them (the PortaPro cord is rather short though).

I think the lowest priced closed-back circumaural that is near your price range, that sounds nice, is the Sennheiser HD205... it has a nice balanced sound across the frequency range, compared to competitive models, is comfortable and will work nicely directly out of the soundcard.