Sign in to follow this  
N.E.A

Fixing a Bent / Broken Pins on a CPU (NCIX Tech Tips #36)

i was on youtube and i saw this video ..take a look and tell me what do you think

(

)

I've done that quite a few times

Definitely one of those "oh shi...t moments", I've ended up fixing every CPU that I've encountered with broken pins though...

but he did it after all and i have never seen this before...

Your link is broken so I will just put in the two ways I know of to straiten them.

Method 1: Run credit car down the rows to straiten them out.

Method 2: For more bent pins take a mechanical pencil and slide the bent pin into the little hole in the end and gently straighten out the pin and use method 1 again to make final adjustments.

4 days ago I was building my first system ever.

Like an idiot only focusing on the processor and hole alignment I forgot about the locking arm sticking up.

I mashed the pins right into the tip of the locking arm and bent like 4-5 pins. I could see $ signs flash before my eyes.

I had to use a utility razor blade to lift pins off the bottom of the processor and aligned them with a CC.

The whole time I was trying to figure out how to come up with another $130 if I snapped a pin. Nothing broke, booted up fine. :D