Buying SSD Confusion!

CanadaGUY

Hey, I was wondering does anyone have any suggestions on what SSD drives to avoid and or what ones are currently great ones to pick up? I've been looking around and have seen some good deals but am still unsure if SSD are first even worth the price tag/supposedly the hassle of installation. Are they really that hard to install?

My budget for one of them is the $200 range, which limits me to 60-64GB models, but thats plenty of space to fit Win7 and all my games.

Edited by CanadaGUY

From the reviews I've seen you'll probably want to stay away from the Jmicron controller and go with one from Indilinx. Also other items to look for are the biggest onboard cache 32-65MB to avoid stuttering problems and also check to see if the units have upgradable firmware. SSDs suffer from performance problems as it degrades over time - when Windows 7 comes out it will support the TRIM function which will help restore drives to near original performance levels as long the drive's firmware supports it. Legit Reviews and HotHardware have had several articles concerning the issue if you want to check it out.

OCZ just announced a line of value-oriented drives - news item here - geared toward mainstream users which may mean you could get a 120GB version but they haven't released pricing or availability yet.