Sign in to follow this  
saffi365

upgrade or wait

upgrade toxfx 4890 or should wait for the 58xx series? im currently running a 9800gtx+ on 1680x1050. i play far cry 2 and cod 5 and will be playing future games. im running a e8400 at 4ghz. sorry for the bad grammar used a ps3 to post this. thx in advance.

You should wait even longer for the 68xx series. It will be Windows 8 and DX12 compliant!

On a more serious note though...if you're not happy with your current performance then upgrade. Theres no point waiting for the next thing around the corner. You'll always be waiting.

if you can wait wait and you won`t regret ....but if you want to play right now i say get 4870 or the cheapset 4890...because when the new cards will come out it will be like month or 2 from now ..i think 4870 is 150-180 usd ....but if you can wait that long then wait......

there are few good deals on some 4870s and 260s in the OCC Marketplace.

ill probably get a 4890 now and later on ill just add a second one i suppose. would 60amps on 12volt lane be enough for xfire? the cheapest card here would be the his 4890 for 269. his are a good brand right?

60 amps on the 12v should be enough for Crossfire, with two 4890s you'll probably need around 35-40 amps, depending on settings. It should work just fine with them Crossfired up. As for the brand, HIS is usually one of the better ones to go with, their cooling systems are usually better than the stock ones so it won't be a vacuum cleaner at higher RPM. To save yourself some cash, I'd rather go with the Sapphire 4890 1GB instead, if you're in the US, it goes for $199.99.

There's little point in upgrading the graphics card if you don't upgrade the monitor with it! I have the same resolution as you , 1680 x 1050, and my 9800GTX performed reasonably well. A step up to something like 2560x1600 would give the HD4870 something to do and you a far better visual gaming experience.

Cheers

Paul

Vapor costs about $350 which is a little too much for a aftermarket cooler. The HIS is $269 and the XFX is about $278.30 and im getting the XFX because it comes with HAWX and Lifetime warranty for extra $9 only.

Im upgrading to 1920x1200 or 1920x1080 in 2-3 months and 9800gtx+ doesnt scale good since i tried it on my lcd tv which is 1920x1080. It gets like 25 fps usually for most games.

And thats why i am upgrading in the first place.