Front audio

im2bz2p345

I'm building my very first gaming/home theater PC and this is the case & motherboard I'm working with:

CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932

MOTHERBOARD: EVGA E758-A1 (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58

I have an Audigy 2 ZS (PCI soundcard) in my current PC that I was considering moving into my new PC. It is currently connected via analog & digital spdif connection to my Logitech Z-5500 5.1 surround sound system. The problem is that if I choose to move it into my new PC, I don't know how to connect the front audio components.

In the HAF 932, the front panel connection wiring has both an Azalia (Intel High Definition Audio) HD Audio connection which is 10 pins (5 pins + 5 pins - side by side) & there is an AC'97 connection which is also 10 pins (5 pins + 5 pins - side by side).

My motherboard has integrated sound connections that line up exactly with the HAF 932 pin arrange for the HD Audio connection, but I'd much rather use an external soundcard because it will provide better audio quality. I do not want to buy the Creative front face plate just so that I can have some front audio connection, when my case already has those connections up front.

I am wondering if there are any newer sound cards that I can buy where I can just plug either the HD Audio or AC'97 connection into directly? If not, will I have to do some type of soldering work regardless of which sound card I buy to get my HAF 932's front audio connections to work with it?

I have tried reading these two guides:

1) http://www.driverheaven.net/audio-general-...assignment.html

2) http://audigy2zshowto.blogspot.com/

It just seem a bit complicated to me. Are those difficult procedures?

Thanks for all the help,

~ Im2bz2p345

Edited by im2bz2p345

I've done the ten pin header trick (white connector) - albeit not that nicely. All I did was simply stick the AC 97 connectors individually into the corresponding connector on the card... and glued everything together so they wouldn't fall apart. They're different sizes so they won't fit perfect.

So is your AC 97 all one connector or are they separated into each individual wire? If it isn't... then yeah you will need to strip and run/solder some wires in.

With the HAF 932, both the HD Audio and AC 97 connectors are a single plug, no extra work necessary. Now, with my HAF 932, I could get the front panel to work just fine with the onboard sound but as soon as I plugged it into my new Auzentech X-Raider card, it hasn't worked. I don't know if there is a setting or something I'm missing, but I can't get the front panel to work with an add-on card. With the onboard it worked just fine, but it hasn't with the X-Raider.

I'm sure there is a way to get it working with an add-on card, I just haven't figured it out yet.