Nforce 590 SLI High temps ?

BoerBenne

Hello, im new to this forum so Hi everyone :thumbs-up: My name is Bernhard and i live in The Netherlands. I really like overclocking and such. i also got a little experience in it so i know what to do and how to check the temps. I normally only overclocked GPU's but now i tried to overclock my cpu. But I found a problem which is explained below.

My problem.

I finally bought myself a dual core upgrade set which contains a m2n32 ws pro, x2 5200, 2gb geil value ram with an Arctic freezer 64 pro. After overclocking this thing to 3.1ghz with a vcore of +-1.29volts my mobo temps are 55 celsius stressed with prime95 ( speedfans reads it as temp 3 ). But ofcourse i wanted to go higher so i upped my vcore to 1.4v and tried 3.2ghz which was a few mins of stressing stable. But my temp 3 (mobo) rose to 77 degrees. So i immediatly stopped the stress test and downclocked to 3.1ghz. After some testing it seems my mobo temps go up 3 degrees whenever i increase my vcore by 0.025v

Anyone with some knowledge about this chipset/mobo and can tell me if its safe and is this the chipset or something else ?

PS. Im always running my system with an open case and a big fan(no case fan) next to it. or else my pc would reboot because of a crappy case cooling.

sorry for my bad english :unsure:

thx in advance.

It seems like a major problem. It could be that the NB has inadequate cooling or the airflow in your case is just that bad.

Another question, why did you bump up the vcore so much to just try and OC to 3.2GHz? I try to go for the lowest possible vcore that grants my system to still be stable.

Because else it wont get stable :S i guess i will leave it at 3.1 ghz then. and btw. the airflow cant be bad because im using a huge fan ( those that blow in your face in the summer.. dont know how to pronounce it ).

thx for ur help though :)

Is it normal that chipset temps will rise after an increase in vcore?? Btw. tomorrow i will feel which component on the heatpipe cooling is the hottest so i can make sure its the NB.

Edited by BoerBenne

Just because you are using a big means nothing. There needs to be a pattern in the airflow. The amount of air going in needs to equal the amount going out. If they don't equal then you create turbulent airflow which helps nothing.

I really don't think that the chipset temp should raise that much with a vcore increase.

I would at least have another fan even if its an open case. Have one on top or where the hard drives are so you get a better flow. If you just have one fan it has to pull all the air with no help. So that isn't good cooling. If I were you I would look in getting 1 or 2 more fans so your air flow is fluent and that should cool everything down.

I would definitely get rid of the big I'm going to assume box fan that you have right next to the computer. That thing is creating a lot of turbulent airflow.

Mmmh, my case doesnt have any options left for extra fans although i have 2 120mm's left. Maybe i need to cut some holes in the sidepanel for air intake.

I already got a 120mm at the back for outtake.

Heres a pic of my case ( i dont know if i can post this link, if not u can delete it ) http://www.priceisrightcomputers.com/image...lack_silver.jpg

As u can see its a crappy one.

Any other suggestions on how to make a good airflow in that case?

Btw it seems that my southbridge is the hottest :O . ( that chip under the ASUS brand on my m2n32 ws pro ) any things to do about this?

btw... i tested if my system was stable without the big fan and it wasnt... i had a BSOD so i restarted my pc and again a BSOD when windows was loading it said ntfs.sys error or something. i fixed it by resetting cmos because anything else wouldnt work.

Edited by BoerBenne

I would cut some holes in the side panel and mount a couple more 120mm fans. Just make sure all the fans have about the same cfm or use a fan controller.

Edited by xly15