Questions about OC of GPU/CPU

JayT1806

Windows Vista 64bit SP1

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500, 3166 MHz (9.5 x 333)

EVGA E175 nVIDIA nForce 750i SLI

Corsair Dominator CM2X2048-8500C5D 4 GB DDR2-800 DDR2

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 (896 MB)

Creative SB X-Fi Fatality XtremeGamer Sound Card

Rosewill Xtreme Series RX750-D-B 750W

Western Digital 7200RPM 500GB

Precision (GPU OC) and Bios for CPU

Tower

CPU Cooler

Hi, I have some general questions about overclocking. Currently I mainly just play World of Warcraft but I still get like 30 FPS for example in high density areas such as DALARAN or Wintergrasp fortress..(Window mode 1920/1200 reso) I have a good cooling rig so I want to experiment with OC'ing.

What is a general safe and normal overclock temperature that should be followed for CPU and GPU?

What effects result from OC. If the voltage and temp. is good, will there be any negative side effects such as damage to the hardware.

Now for a specific question. For my CPU - I followed this guide to overclock and I don't know what voltages to set for the core/FSB. Could you please enlighten me? I wondering the settings for 3.6GHZ and 4.33GHZ. Also, do i need to reset the memory settings? I have it set to 2.1 v at 5.5.5.15 and 1033mhz

Thanks for the help.

Edited by JayT1806

Windows Vista 64bit SP1

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500, 3166 MHz (9.5 x 333)

EVGA E175 nVIDIA nForce 750i SLI

Corsair Dominator CM2X2048-8500C5D 4 GB DDR2-800 DDR2

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 (896 MB)

Creative SB X-Fi Fatality XtremeGamer Sound Card

Rosewill Xtreme Series RX750-D-B 750W

Western Digital 7200RPM 500GB

Precision (GPU OC) and Bios for CPU

Tower

CPU Cooler

Hi, I have some general questions about overclocking. Currently I mainly just play World of Warcraft but I still get like 30 FPS for example in high density areas such as DALARAN or Wintergrasp fortress..(Window mode 1920/1200 reso) I have a good cooling rig so I want to experiment with OC'ing.

What is a general safe and normal overclock temperature that should be followed for CPU and GPU?

What effects result from OC. If the voltage and temp. is good, will there be any negative side effects such as damage to the hardware.

Now for a specific question. For my CPU - I followed this guide to overclock and I don't know what voltages to set for the core/FSB. Could you please enlighten me? I wondering the settings for 3.6GHZ and 4.33GHZ. Also, do i need to reset the memory settings? I have it set to 2.1 v at 5.5.5.15 and 1033mhz

Thanks for the help.

about the gpu ..is you gtx 260 55nm or 65nm...if it is 55 nm then i think max you will get about 55-60 c ..my card get to 58 c when there is no fan to blow air to it i test the system outside of the case and when i put in the case it was 52-55c but if the card is 65 i think it will a littel bit hotter .ithink it will be max 56-65 c and the cpu ..i don`t have a clue becuse i didn`t have the e8500 ...wait for other posts ..

as for gpu damage i think when you overclock it wrong somekind of lines will come on the screen when start any game and you won`t be able to do anything except for restartting your system and underclock your gpu..but sorry i don`t know what will happen when some thing is wrong with the cpu overclock ..all i know is that your os won`t be stable...

First of all, before you do any OCing, you need a general idea of what you are changing in your Bios.

You can go through this GUIDE and then I would suggest checking out a few others as well.

Later you can ask specific questions when needed like "what is GTL ref and do I need to set this" etc.

Downloading the Intel spec sheet for your processor will give you all the recommended voltages and maximum voltages and temperatures that you will need.

Without a general knowledge of the various setting you have to change, temperatures you have to monitor and programs you need, you are just asking for trouble and will probably be disappointed with the whole process.

Good luck.