Name of photo effect

Phil

Over the years I've run across programs that specialize in removing color from the background of a photo leaving an object in full color. I've been trying to Google for it, but I don't know what to call it! Can anyone help?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not sure what its called either but I know some cameras have that option built in.

I found this:

LINK

and this

No idea what its called still, that doesn't really help if you want to search for it more.

Thanks for the links. I'm kicking myself because I passed on one when it was on GOTD. I think that the specific apps create the effect with greater ease that using a Photoshop type program.

I don't know what the name of the effect is either, but I did it on this wallpaper using Photoshop. I think it's a great effect, as it really adds emphasis. It can definitely be rather time consuming in PS, depending on the complexity of the photo and/or the object you're leaving colored.

I can see why it was time consuming. :P

Drooling aside, it must have been hard to define the edges of the parts where the edges were indistinct.

i didnt know there was a tool

just PS and make a copy of that layer , turn one greyscale , cut out the colour (color) one , play with opasity , until it looks right , simple without fuss

I usually just make two layers in Photoshop - black and white on top and color beneath it and just erase the object in to be in color (on the black and white layer so that the color shows through beneath it).

If you have any specific photos that you want done let me know and I'll use my horrible skills to try it out for you if you want.

:P

Those were awesome Andrew!

I usually just make two layers in Photoshop - black and white on top and color beneath it and just erase the object in to be in color (on the black and white layer so that the color shows through beneath it).

It sounds simple when you say it. :P

Yea its easy on some pictures, but if you had a field of flowers for instance and wanted everything but the petals to be b&w then that would be pretty difficulty...