Sign in to follow this  
panjang110

undervolting cpu

Why not just enable Cool and Quiet? It'll throttle down to about 1 volt or so and 800 MHz but rise up appropriately under load...

Why not just enable Cool and Quiet? It'll throttle down to about 1 volt or so and 800 MHz but rise up appropriately under load...

Because you can usually go much lower than what Cool'n'Quiet does. See, I got 0.325V lower than that 1V. It allowed me to gain an extra hour of battery life :)

will the the thing work on desktop cpu like mine?

yeah it should, it's worked on all the machines I've used it on. (of course all of them laptops) but just select desktop in the rmclock's settings tab

Because you can usually go much lower than what Cool'n'Quiet does. See, I got 0.325V lower than that 1V. It allowed me to gain an extra hour of battery life :)

I refuse to believe you got any transistor to work below threshold voltage. <_<

Try again.

Try again.

I wasn't able to get the voltage of the lowest frequency lower (since it wouldn't let me) but I was able to lower the voltages of all the intermediate multiplier levels.

yeah it should, it's worked on all the machines I've used it on. (of course all of them laptops) but just select desktop in the rmclock's settings tab

i'm going to do some testing after work tomorrow, maybe i can get lower voltage with this :D i think it's posibble since i manage to go sub 1V just by using cool n quiet and setting my vcore lower in bios

Edited by panjang110

I wasn't able to get the voltage of the lowest frequency lower (since it wouldn't let me) but I was able to lower the voltages of all the intermediate multiplier levels.

That's different and it certainly isn't below 1 volt. :P

You can also accomplish that using Cool 'n Quiet, btw. If you lower the maximum vcore it scales down each level appropriately.

Try again.

Didn't you see my screenshot? 8h OCCT passed at 0.675V man. CPU-z confirms my voltage as well as my temps that are much lower, let alone my extra hour of battery life. These numbers are not fake. <_< RMclock allows me to go as low as 0.55V BTW.

That's different and it certainly isn't below 1 volt. :P

You can also accomplish that using Cool 'n Quiet, btw. If you lower the maximum vcore it scales down each level appropriately.

The Smith isn't lying, even the stock lowest voltage on my processor at 6.0x multi yields voltage less than 1.0v, I couldn't lower the lowest any further but I was able to bump 7.0x and 8.0x down to the lowest voltage and have it run stable.

here's my results (I'm on my laptop now)

voltages.png

My laptop used to run at 1.375v on it's highest multi

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Didn't you see my screenshot? 8h OCCT passed at 0.675V man. CPU-z confirms my voltage as well as my temps that are much lower, let alone my extra hour of battery life. These numbers are not fake. <_< RMclock allows me to go as low as 0.55V BTW.

It's reading incorrectly then. .675 volts isn't enough to turn on any normal transistor (let alone a CPU)...

I could believe .8 volts but the closer you get to .7 the more skeptical I will be.

I wouldn't call the transistors in a CPU "Normal" (although I couldn't actually tell you what they are). Put it this way, we're not talking about your standard BC546 ;)

Edited by AJW256