undervolting cpu

hi guys, is there going to be a problem if dial down my vcore lower than stock? i've been testing the last few days lowering my vcore from 1.3v to 1.175v and i get 4C lower temperature and the only bottleneck is during windows startup when everything is trying to load in taskbar. other than that everything else seem fine to me, i just want to know if there's gonna be bad effect to my cpu or components :unsure: oh.. my cpu is 7850BE

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd recommend a good 3-4 hours of Prime 95 between voltage decreases to test for stability. I recently did this to my laptop for battery savings, it's definitely worth it if you aren't overclocking and want the best temp/power saving combination for a stock chip but naturally an overclocked CPU will require more voltage and make more heat.

well, i'm trying to keep vcore low while surfing to reduce heat and power consumption and use power saver. when i'm gaming i'll just put the mode on high performance. the cpu is kinda crap when it come to oc'ing since i only manage to get max +-400mhz over stock so better save energy than waste it on that kind of oc :lol: any ways guys i manage to get as low as 1.1V now stable and my temp is just 9C over ambient :D

well, i'm trying to keep vcore low while surfing to reduce heat and power consumption and use power saver. when i'm gaming i'll just put the mode on high performance. the cpu is kinda crap when it come to oc'ing since i only manage to get max +-400mhz over stock so better save energy than waste it on that kind of oc :lol: any ways guys i manage to get as low as 1.1V now stable and my temp is just 9C over ambient :D

nice and bummer at the same time, I'd have gone with that choice too (the undervolting, stock clock one). It's so awesome that my laptop was able to lower it's voltage like .2-.25 volts, I feel so green :D. Good work on your undervolting, was that the lowest you were able to get?

Dude, look at that:

post-31336-1249912188_thumb.jpg

Since you want to have control over the power savings function, I'd suggest using RMclock. This one will allow you to limit your processor to its downclocked state when surfing on the Internet, whereas if you only do it from the BIOS, either you use the performance on demand mode (Cool'n'Quiet) or you always leave it underclocked.

RM clock allows you to toggle between permanent underclock/undervolt, high performance, and performance on demand.

Here is a tutorial. :) Enjoy!

Dude, look at that:

post-31336-1249912188_thumb.jpg

Since you want to have control over the power savings function, I'd suggest using RMclock. This one will allow you to limit your processor to its downclocked state when surfing on the Internet, whereas if you only do it from the BIOS, either you use the performance on demand mode (Cool'n'Quiet) or you always leave it underclocked.

RM clock allows you to toggle between permanent underclock/undervolt, high performance, and performance on demand.

Here is a tutorial. :) Enjoy!

:withstupid: That's the software I used, I have Performance on Demand on and have lowered my voltages for all multiplier levels. I'd never underclock for power saving, but alot of processors have a significant waste of voltage at stock speeds .

man, that is so low ;) i'm able to go down just around 1.15V on full clock speed and 0.925V on half speed. i guess that is the diffrence between 95watt TDP cpu and a ultra low voltage neo cpu :P and iviy i guess we all should go green these days since electricity bill keeps going up and fossil fuel are getting pricer :O i'm no greenpeace but i do care about our green earth :D

man, that is so low ;) i'm able to go down just around 1.15V on full clock speed and 0.925V on half speed. i guess that is the diffrence between 95watt TDP cpu and a ultra low voltage neo cpu :P and iviy i guess we all should go green these days since electricity bill keeps going up and fossil fuel are getting pricer :O i'm no greenpeace but i do care about our green earth :D

my Quad kinda ruins the power savings of my laptop, it runs at 1.44v all day every day (1.55v in bios)

doesn't intel have speedstep?( is that what they call it?) it should keep your cpu running at lowest clock when there's low activity, unless you doing hardcore stuff in there :lol:

Edited by panjang110