Is my Q6600 sufficient to game well?

Hey everyone,

As I don't have the money for an upgrade to an i7 series CPU (or anything else), and I'm VERY limited because of my Dell computer, I'm stuck with a Q6600 that I OC to 3.0 ghz. From what I read, I'm missing out on lots of great gaming due to my CPU. I've tried to compensate by purchasing a GTX 285. What do you all think? For example, I probably can't play ArmA II because of my processor. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

Dell XPS 410, Vista 32-bit, Q6600 (OC 3 Ghz), GTX 285, 750 PSU, DDR2 800 Mhz

Hey everyone,

As I don't have the money for an upgrade to an i7 series CPU (or anything else), and I'm VERY limited because of my Dell computer, I'm stuck with a Q6600 that I OC to 3.0 ghz. From what I read, I'm missing out on lots of great gaming due to my CPU. I've tried to compensate by purchasing a GTX 285. What do you all think? For example, I probably can't play ArmA II because of my processor. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

Optimal PC System Requirements For Arma II

* Quad Core CPU or fast Dual Core CPU (Intel Core 2.8 GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ or faster)

* 2 GB RAM

* Fast GPU (Nvidia Geforce 8800GT or ATI Radeon 4850 or faster) with Shader Model 3 and 512 or more MB VRAM

* Windows XP or Windows Vista

* DVD (Dual Layer compatible), 10 GB free HDD space

What's the problem? ;)

Cheers

Paul

OMG an overclocked dell RUN AWAY the apocalypse is here! Well first off what kind of resolutions are you playing at? You may be limited slightly but the only way to really find out is to try the game out your self than decide if you need to upgrade your parts then. If you do have to upgrade I suggest a fast dual core because they seem to do the best in gaming.

BTW i had heard that some of the XPS line were overclockable, are you using software or bios to overclock?

What's wrong with an overclocked Dell?

From the optimal game requirements "Quad Core CPU or fast Dual Core CPU (Intel Core 2.8 GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ or faster)", could Arma II actually make use of four cores? This seems to hint that it may?

Try the demo and see how it runs.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by paulktreg

You should run it no problem. I'm 100% sure the computer in my sig can run it 1680x1050 all max easily...only thing is that I use WinXP sp3. I don't know about the ram usage and stuff in vista.

But still, from youtube vids that I saw, Arma 2 has average graphics and your system should run it at high fps.

For example....check this:

That's with fraps running and at 1080p res. Notice his specs :P

If you have problems with modern games on your machine at around 1600ish resolutions or below...you need to look into something that's overheating. Trust me, overheating parts can cause major performance problems in games.

Edited by Computation

Optimal PC System Requirements For Arma II

* Quad Core CPU or fast Dual Core CPU (Intel Core 2.8 GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ or faster)

* 2 GB RAM

* Fast GPU (Nvidia Geforce 8800GT or ATI Radeon 4850 or faster) with Shader Model 3 and 512 or more MB VRAM

* Windows XP or Windows Vista

* DVD (Dual Layer compatible), 10 GB free HDD space

What's the problem? ;)

Cheers

Paul

Thanks for the reminder on the game requirements! Yeah, I should be okay then.

OMG an overclocked dell RUN AWAY the apocalypse is here! Well first off what kind of resolutions are you playing at? You may be limited slightly but the only way to really find out is to try the game out your self than decide if you need to upgrade your parts then. If you do have to upgrade I suggest a fast dual core because they seem to do the best in gaming.

BTW i had heard that some of the XPS line were overclockable, are you using software or bios to overclock?

I haven't heard that apocalypse line in a long time. Very good. Yes, some of the XPS line are OC using ClockGen.

One Questiong on the topic of overclocking a dell..... What do you have to do to get a dell to overclocker... (for my curiousity)

You have to use a program called ClockGen. It works really well, actually.

Hey everyone,

Thanks,

Jeff

I believe you're the first person I've met on here that actually questions the performance ability of the Q6600, let alone thinks its holding him back. With a comparable GPU (which it seems you have), you should be able to max out most current games, especially any game that benefits from quad core, which it would seem ARMA II does. The only question I have is how much RAM do you have? As long as you've got at least 4GB, then I think you're just fine with that setup.