Setting CPU affinity to improve video recording in games

Hey guys! This is something I've wondered for a good while, and I decided it's time to ask it.

I've been cautious of setting the affinity of processes through the task manager because it's something I've never done before. I use xfire to record parts of games, and maybe to begin using the broadcasting feature in the near future, but the games performance takes a hefty blow, along with the playback of the recorded video.

I was wondering how safe it is to set the game to one or two cores, and then setting xfire to utilize another seperate core, and if it is safe, whether or not it will actually help performance at all. Last of all, is this change permanent, or is there another way of making the change permanent =3

I'm running an Intel C2Q Q8200.

Many thanks!

What games are you running where it gives you access to each core. For the most part many games out there still use 1 core and that fact that all the boxes may be checked is to allow the manager to switch between cores or allow a program to be set to run ONLY on a specific core. As far as coordenating off one core to handle a specific task I have never tried that but you probably wouldn't notice a difference in performance, in fact you would probably notice a drop in performace since the system to would have compencate for the timing required in processing a specific task.

If anoyne else has any ides I may be very wrong on this concept :D

What games are you running where it gives you access to each core.

It's not that the games specifically let me configure which cores they use, it's just right clicking the process and then checking the boxes next to the cores I want it to use =3

I'd love more info on this too =P

Well most games atm done use multiple cores at once, what people rly dont realize is its not the program but the OS that sets "task time" for each running program to use. If a program dose have the ability to use multiple cores then the OS will designate a specific amount of "time" that the program will have to complete its task before being set back into RAM, this concept is known as threading. Since a system can only run ONE proccess per core at a time it has to switch between processes to dose multi-processing. In reality this switching is happening so fast that from a human perspective its happening all at the same time. So on that same note if you are desginating a specific core to a process you are rly locking out the rest of the cores from having CPU time on the process.

Well most games atm done use multiple cores at once, what people rly dont realize is its not the program but the OS that sets "task time" for each running program to use. If a program dose have the ability to use multiple cores then the OS will designate a specific amount of "time" that the program will have to complete its task before being set back into RAM, this concept is known as threading. Since a system can only run ONE proccess per core at a time it has to switch between processes to dose multi-processing. In reality this switching is happening so fast that from a human perspective its happening all at the same time. So on that same note if you are desginating a specific core to a process you are rly locking out the rest of the cores from having CPU time on the process.

Oh wow o.o You learn something new every day. That certainly answers alot =P

Yeah well theres still ALOT more to that, what i explain there is only a basic concept of what is rly going on and how a computer runs. In realtiy it gets ALOT more complicated with extra cores for the OS to use and im still learning alot about multicore processing.