Another First Build HTPC Question

HDBlair

Hi All:

Well, with you guys help, I have finally gotten my first HTPC build operational. Video, Internet, network, etc. all works fine. The only thing I can not get to work is the audio. Since I have never mess any with audio, I am at somewhat of a loss. You can see from my signature the system I have built. My question is:

What cable(s) -- the specific kind -- do I need to connect the HTPC to the HDTV. As you can see, I am connecting to the HDTV with a HDMI to DVI (since the TV does not support HDMI). Just below the DVI connection on the TV are two audio? jacks. I presume these are connected to two of the six (which six) audio jacks at the back of the motherboard. Again, what jacks to what and what type of cable.

Thanks,

Harold

P.S. The system is running Windows 7 RC. MUCH better than Vista and somewhat like XP.

Quick question. Are you going to use the TV speakers for the entire setup, PC speakers, or a sound system?

The two jacks near the DVI on your HDTV are most likely RCA (Red / White). If your sound card has no RCA output, then you can buy something like this 3.5mm Stereo Plug to RCA plug. Red/White side goes into those jacks by the TV's DVI and the 3.5mm goes into the Green jack on the motherboard. This method would make the TV speakers play all the sound from the HTPC.

If wanted to use PC speakers, you would just plug the PC speakers into the motherboard and not worry about those two jacks by the DVI.

If you wanted to hook it up to a sound system you would go from the motherboard to the receiver (via the highest quality possible: RCA -> Coaxial -> Optical -> HDMI).

Edited by Krazyxazn

Thanks once again for the prompt response. Until I get things completely setup, I will go with the speakers in the HDTV. After everything is operational I will begin to look for a good sound system.

Harold