Captcha Hell

d3bruts1d

I hate captchas but understand it is a necessary evil in today's word. This is one I received today while leaving a comment over at ComputerWorld.

post-717-1249490299_thumb.png

Seriously?

lol, it looks like one of those 2D barcodes... I think you need to install a barcode reader into your eyes :lol:

that captcha is right up there with the cat one:

worstcaptchaever.jpg

OMG, that one's the worst! I saw that on a site once and wanted to shoot the creator.

I had to implement captcha on our website...I chose Recaptcha (the one in d3's example) because it provides a refresh button plus an audio button. Any captcha that doesn't have a refresh button is poor, IMO. You shouldn't have to reload the page and/or submit a wrong "answer" in order to get a new one.

The cat captcha doesn't seem too bad to me, I can clearly tell which ones have cats.

They all have cats...you have to find the exact cat it's asking for and only type those letters.

That's from an old version of rapidshare IIRC. I remember having to do those. It's normally 4 chars with a cat and 2 with a dog.

Edited by viperk1

Are you sure? That "S" looks like a dog to me.

cats, dogs, whatever...that's not the point. nrg showed one example, there are ones where the "animals" look remarkably similar, or enough so that when the lines of the letter/number go through them at the "wrong" part, it's hard to tell. It helps that it tells you how many letters you're looking for though. Like theoretically, the cat over "2" is NOT the same...the head is different. Yet obviously it wants it to count.