Need help OCing my Core i7 920

Gunrun69

Hi Guys, I got my new gaming build complete. (for now) I now want to get my 920 clocked to 3.66 but I don't know the settings in BIOS that I need to set.

I am a noob to OCing and would really appreciate someone walking me through it. I also need help to set my memory timings to 7-7-7-24.

I'm in Tulsa OK. Is there anyone who would let me call them in the evening to walk me through the settings? I'd really appreciate any help I can get.

Since we have the same Mobo I'm sure I can be of some help. since your ramm is rated at 1600 I would start off with setting your ramm divider to 2:10 in ramm settings. Then take your qpi to 160 with a 20x multi. that will put your cpu at 3.2 and should keep your ramm at its recommended 1600mhz. You should be able to achieve that without any voltage increase.

Just remember the higher you take your qpi the lower you will have to set your ramm divider. Also you will have to more than likely start increasing cpu voltage around 3.4-3.6 depending on your cpu. I should be able to give a little more advice when I get off work and can look at my bios. I just cant remember exactly how everything is worded

Edited by Water_Hazard

Nice avatar.... aint Oklahoma a nice place to live... I would help you But I do AMD, No intel yet.

Edit: Varrens Guide to overclocking. will give you a basics run down to overclocking.

And I am almost certain you can find a guide that will Help you overclock that certain I7. I found one for the phenom that was killer in about 10 mnutes.

Happy overclocking and welcome.

Edited by boinker

Since we have the same Mobo I'm sure I can be of some help. since your ramm is rated at 1600 I would start off with setting your ramm divider to 2:10 in ramm settings. Then take your qpi to 160 with a 20x multi. that will put your cpu at 3.2 and should keep your ramm at its recommended 1600mhz. You should be able to achieve that without any voltage increase.

Just remember the higher you take your qpi the lower you will have to set your ramm divider. Also you will have to more than likely start increasing cpu voltage around 3.4-3.6 depending on your cpu. I should be able to give a little more advice when I get off work and can look at my bios. I just cant remember exactly how everything is worded

what he said :)

I was able to OC mine to 3.6 with no voltage changes.. after that I had to start bumping the cpu and qpi voltages up a bit. Initially you want to have the memory set at the lowest speed till you reach the CPU OC you want, then start tweeking the memory speed/timings...

And like Water_Hazard, I'm at work and cant remember the other settins you need to watch.. but I was able to leave most on auto untill I tried to push past 3.6.

I'm getting my DSL turned on tonight. I'll be downloading drivers etc. tonight. I'll be on here tomorrow if anyone will be available to help. I appreciate the replies.

I'm running Windows 7 RC and just set up to dual boot Ubuntu. I don't know anything about either one so this is all going to be a learning process.

I found an article on Maximum PC that gave the settings to clock my CPU to 3.66 but when I got into my BIOS the names of the settings weren't the same and I'm not sure what to change on some of them.

It was much easier on XP and AMD to bump the FSB.

I plan to get it to 3.66 and leave it.

I did get my memory settings to 7-7-7-17

My email is [email protected] if one of you would be willing to help me tomorrow, please email me with a phone # and I'll call you. Thank you so much for helping out a noob.

Edited by Gunrun69

With the way the ramm divider is set up on the mobo you wont be able to get 3.66 without overclocking or underclocking your ramm

qpi= 203

cpu multi= 18

ramm divi= 2:8

that gives you cpu: 203x18= 3.654, ramm: 203x8=1624

the ramm dividers on this board are limited to 2:6, 2:8, 2:10, and 2:12 so I have found that its a lot easier on this mobo to come up with the qpi x divider you will use for your memory before you find your cpu speed and then just play with the multi on the cpu.

If you are just wanting to get to around 3.6 and leave it I would use

qpi=200

cpu multi=18

ramm = 2:8

= cpu: 200x18= 3.6, ramm= 200x8= 1600

If you are dead set on getting to 3.66 then you could also try this cpu: 193x19= 3.667, ramm: 193x8= 1544 and see if you cant tighten your ramm timing some more.

Your voltage will most likely need to be bumped up a small amount (maybe not if your i7 is a d0 revision) I would place the v around 1.3

Hope this helps. Here is a really in depth guide that should be of some help also.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=642527

Edited by Water_Hazard