LCD widescreens are ridiculous with the blurring =/

What's up. I came to this site back in February to build the computer in my sig. I got a lot of help here so I thought I'd ask around about this new monitor I have.

I just bought an Acer X223W 22" widescreen monitor from newegg. The picture is decent on the desktop and just for general use. But once I get into games it's just crazy. There's this insane blur everytime I make any sort of movement. Also, if I jerk around really fast, I can literally FEEL my eyes being strained lol. It's the worst in Crysis and Q3 / Q4. I've tryed fiddling with a ton of options in the NVidia CP but nothing really changes that blur. Also, I'm using the DVI hookup....analog is the same problem btw.

I was originally going to get a CRT but went to newegg and saw they weren't listed on there. I found out later that CRT's are basically discontinued :O . So I started looking at widescreens and saw how big they actually were. They looked nice. I also figured that these things HAD to be decent for games if the companies were phasing out CRT's. Sadly mistaken.

So what now? Am I gonna have to spend $500 for a decent LCD? Or can anyone recommend a sub $200 LCD that has minimal blur? I'm looking for a native res of 1680x1050.

I don't really want to go back to CRT because I do notice a difference in image quality. My games kind of glow now, colors are brighter, etc. But if anyone has any suggestions for CRT's with good quality like LCD's, I'll take those into consideration too.

Thanks in advance. B:)

Edited by Computation

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Acer Display should be a pretty good display:

Display

Screen Size 22"

Widescreen Yes

Maximum Resolution 1680 x 1050

Recommended Resolution 1680 x 1050

Viewing Angle 170

Crysis is not exactly a fast game like Quake where you would need a CRT and Q4 is a little retarded as well

I looked at some of the reviews on newegg I didnt see anything about blurring complaints.

I did see a person complain the DVI is not compatible with their graphics card

something may be wrong with your setup

have you tested some fast action DVD movies?

what I would do is go to acer's website and download the driver for your LCD straight from there

before installing that, reinstall/update your graphics card drivers

if you have dual DVI out, use the other out, do not connect anything else to the card, reverse the DVI cable orientation from what it was

if the problem still persists, does crysis have a reduce input lag option? try using that and trying setting V-sync

if you still get the problem what resolution are you playing at? your monitor is 1050 btw, a vanilla 9800GT will be sweating running crysis on high settings, try lowering it

if it is still blurry when was the last time you paid your local optometrist a visit? or the monitor could be defective?

if it comes down to buying a new monitor, 350$ is the perfect price, 500$ is silly for gaming. Do not expect to get a quality monitor for 150$.

Edited by potatochobit

I think I fixed it. I went into the nvidia control panel and ran display optimazation to get rid of some of the brightness. It's amazing how much better LCDs look when your screen is darker. The blur looked more natural.

But I still noticed some annoying blur when I try to make pinpoint shots in my games. Very small and very fine mouse movements caused really bad blurring. So I started thinking about how I overclocked my USB port to 500hz for smoother aiming in games. I changed the port back to 125hz and sure enough that small blurring was fixed. It's funny because 125hz doesn't screw my aim like it did with my old CRT.

So yeah, that was the cause...USB mouse port overclocked to 500hz.

They need to put this type of stuff in user manuals. ;)

-edit- Ok nevermind....125hz still makes a difference against skilled players. Tryed playing a usual duel partner and had to struggle with easy shots. =/ So I guess I have to make a choice...crazy motion blur or decreased accuracy. <_<

Edited by Computation

I think I fixed it. I went into the nvidia control panel and ran display optimazation to get rid of some of the brightness. It's amazing how much better LCDs look when your screen is darker. The blur looked more natural.

But I still noticed some annoying blur when I try to make pinpoint shots in my games. Very small and very fine mouse movements caused really bad blurring. So I started thinking about how I overclocked my USB port to 500hz for smoother aiming in games. I changed the port back to 125hz and sure enough that small blurring was fixed. It's funny because 125hz doesn't screw my aim like it did with my old CRT.

So yeah, that was the cause...USB mouse port overclocked to 500hz.

They need to put this type of stuff in user manuals. ;)

-edit- Ok nevermind....125hz still makes a difference against skilled players. Tryed playing a usual duel partner and had to struggle with easy shots. =/ So I guess I have to make a choice...crazy motion blur or decreased accuracy. <_>

I find it extremely hard to believe you're getting decreased accuracy from a normal USB 2.0 port. That'd be more about what mouse you're using and what your settings are.

I find it extremely hard to believe you're getting decreased accuracy from a normal USB 2.0 port. That'd be more about what mouse you're using and what your settings are.

Well it's the truth. :unsure: I've used 500hz for...atleast a year. There were times I'd plug the mouse into the wrong port by mistake and I'd instantly notice that something wasn't right.

Btw I'm talking about older, competitive games like q3 duels where missing a shot can = your opponent getting 200h 200a stacked.

In newer games the lack of precision is not such an issue though. Pretty much everyone kills everyone no matter what the skill levels are.

of all the people with incorrect overclocking settings I tried to help

you are the first person I have come across with an incorrectly overclocked mouse, w

lol.

Edited by Computation

OK after messing around with the brightness/contrast/gamma and having my mouse settings not work...I have decided to return this thing. It's just not good for FPS gaming. I'm looking at that ViewSonic X Series VX2265wm. All reviews point to superb gaming quality with it. Lesson learned I guess...don't cheap out on an LCD monitor.

Now I gotta worry about how to get rid of this Acer monitor. I hope newegg will take it back. =/

Edited by Computation

Did you start playing at a higher resolution when you got this monitor? That's the only thing I can think of so in that case it could be your graphics card rather than the monitor itself.