$1300.00 Computer - Need Suggestions

Capo

I'm helping a friend with a budget of 1300.00 USD building a new computer. This money needs to be used towards the following parts, the rest are all ready owned:

1) CPU

2) MOBO

3) RAM

4) Hard-drive

5) Video Card

6) PSU

At this price range would an Intel or AMD system get me more bang for my buck? What parts would you choose?

Yea...what are you going to use it for first of all? Thats what matters the most, as if its for gaming then you need a big and fast gfx card...and a nice cpu...but it dont have to be the best....if its for business then cpu more than gfx depending on the size of the monitor...If for media use then nice cpu and medium gfx card

Just a lot of things

Without knowing what he needs the computer for, it's tough to pick parts, even with such a large budget. No use spending that money if the parts are overkill.

whats the computers main purpose?

The main purpose of the computer will be gaming, yes. I know that he could get by with a lot less, but he wants the best he can get for this price so that it will last as long as possible.

Our main area of concern now is if we should do an Intel or AMD build. Also, for upper end video cards is Nvidia or ATI our best bet?

Look here what's coming. At 3.4GHz, it will dominate the i7 920 in almost every game. Yes you could go for something like an i7 940 or 950, but then you will eat up quite a bit of money that would be more wisely spent on better graphics.

Gimme a few mins I'll spec out something.

If its gaming hes after he should look at phenom II something like this should do

Harddrive - Seagate 7200.12 1Tb $90

Motherboard - Asus Crosshair III Formula $200

Processor - AMD Phenom II 955 BE $200

Graphics - Sapphire HD 4890 Vapor X $400(2 of them)

RAM - 4Gb G.Skill DDR3 1333 $75

Power Supply - Corsair 750w $120

Heatsink - Xigmatek Dark Knight $45

Total comes out to $1140, hell if he wanted to he could easily pick up a GTX 295 and still come out under budget or step up to the PII 965.

Look at these. I would personally grab the dual-card setup but I made a tri-fire setup just for the fun of it. I was also actually trying to pack in that $1300 a quad-fire setup but it was impossible...

post-31336-1249508984_thumb.jpg

post-31336-1249508996_thumb.jpg

I'd say those builds they posted up are good with the exception of the 955/DDR3. He'd be just as happy with a 940 X4 and 800mhz 4-4-4-12 DDR2 memory, then you can splurge on a 4870x2 or 295.

If you can fit a nice i7 in that price then do it, but as a gamer the slight speed advantage in the i7 wouldn't beat a stronger graphics card.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Yeah but I meant to replace the 955 by the 965 :) When it comes out obviously. In the news it was said it should be similarly priced so I just put the 955 in the list to get an idea of the price...

Edit: BTW, why splurging a 4870X2 when I already put a 4890 Xfire ?

Edited by The Smith