Sign in to follow this  
ChaoShadow

Sound card for gaming and music

Hi,

I want to buy a sound card up to 160 USD.

My purpose is for gaming and for music.

I will probobly buy the Razer Carchasis headset, or the Razer Megaledon headset (if I buy the Megaledon then I will have to buy a 90$ sound card with it instead of a 160$).

What whould be better:

The Carchasis with a 160$ sound card, or the Megaledon with a 90$ sound card? The Megaledon has a USB connection and the Carchasis has standard mic & headphone jacks, if that matters.

I think I can firmly assure you that if you are going to be using headsets or really anything less than a $500 set of surround sound speakers, you will not need a discrete sound card.

If your onboard is broken or from nineteen-ninety-late, I would probably recommend the X-Fi Audigy.

Edited by Glow of fire

If you're using a USB headset...I doubt you'll need a sound card. Why not just buy whatever headset and try it with your current setup?

I changed my mind, I probobly will go for the AD700 headset, and currently I also have the Logitech X-540 speakers. Will the Asus Xonar DX improve my sound quality and performance?

The Asus Xonar will improve (or decrease) the audio's cpu utilization, but might not have any audible difference over the on-board sound you're currently using.

The Xonar DX does have an audible (and measurable) difference over onboard sound (I reviewed the Xonar D1, which is identical except for being PCI vs PCIe).

For the price range, and desired output devices, I'd recommend the Xonar D2 or D2X. If getting decent headphones means you have a smaller soundcard budget, the D1 and DX are still very good soundcards, it's just the D2 and D2X rank in the "audiophile" area of soundcards. The D1 and DX have a front panel header that allows you to connect the case's front panel audio to the soundcard, so if you want to connect the headphones to the front of the case, or just want to connect the headphones without needing an additional switch or needing to physically swap cables, the D1/DX would be more convenient in this respect.

I will probobly buy the Razer Carchasis headset

I have this Headset, it's nice I love it better then all other headsets I have owned to date.

Razer Megaledon headset (if I buy the Megaledon then I will have to buy a 90$ sound card with it instead of a 160$).

I have this headset as well, very nice headset, good comfort. It sounds great. It can be used with any 7.1 surround sound card tho, just if you get their 90dollar one it has a special connector to make it easier to hook up looks like a dvi cable, but you don't need it. You can hook it to any sound card it actually has a plug for r/l front, side, and rear as well as center channel and sub connectors, the USB on it is to give power to the amplifier in the cable, which has seperate vol control for all channels. The draw backs to the head set are that the mic is weak, it has a cheesy plug in to one of the ear muffs, it's tiny and well just sucks all around as far as mics go. And it plugs in as a replacement for your surround sound speakers, so if you want to use head phones for game, but speakers any other time, your gunna have to be pluging and un-pluging constantly. Not to mention they like 150 bucks, or at least were when I bought them. Mine now lay on my floor and I use the previously mentioned ones for gaming ventrillo, teamspeak, etc, and surround sound 7.1 speakers when theres no need for voice communication.

If ur motherboard is over 2 years old u need a sound card, if u have a current one w/ HD audio u should get heAdphones first then see if u want to upgrade