Upgrade time

Thinking of upgrading my proc, mobo, and mem and am leaning towards AM3.

Here's what I've been eyeing:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE

Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UDP5

Mushkin 2X2GB DDR3 1600 PC12800

I eventually want to double the memory, but for now 4GBs works for me. The main thing I'm wondering is how well these components might get along together as well as with Vista 64. I do want to oc this, but I'm not worried about how high, just want to know if there are any horror stories with these parts. Also I am unfamiliar with Gigabyte and I'd like a further opinion on their reputation as of late. What I'm running now is in the sig with the exception that my main hdd is now a Seagate 7200.11 500GB (32MB cache). I'll use this rig for a mix of graphics work and gaming. Thanks in advance for all your feedback.

EDIT: lol forgot the most important question. Will my Dtek Fuzion V2 block even work on this mobo?

2ND EDIT:CHECK SECOND PAGE FOR NEW PLAN OF ATTACK

Edited by ocmooz

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Money is not an issue and I'm kinda tired of ddr2 capping my oc. I could even underclock the ddr3 and get faster results than what I have now, but I'll keep what you said in mind.

Money is not an issue and I'm kinda tired of ddr2 capping my oc. I could even underclock the ddr3 and get faster results than what I have now, but I'll keep what you said in mind.

I'm just saying the 955 is a cash cow seeing how it offers nothing more than the 940 has (besides the AM3 name). I assure the chip will "cap" out faster than the memory will, not to mention memory won't even be a factor with an unlocked multiplier. If money really is not an issue, get an i7.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

:blink: You guys misunderstand me . The memory is a bottle neck because I have to leave it at 1000Mhz when I oc to 4Ghz due to multiplier issues. Besides I am tired of slow ddr2 and I want to get away from Intel, therefore I am pretty much set on the 955 BE. As for OCZ ram, I just don't trust it and I dislike the lack of customer service and rebate honoring <_< . I really just want to know whether y'all think the board is good to use or should I go with the ASUS M4A79T and whether anyone has played with this particular set of mem sticks yet. It would also be very helpful if someone could clear up whether or not I can use my Dtek Fuzion V2 block on this chip and whether or not the quad nozzle is really a scam. So if I should go with ddr2 then why not stay with what I have? :unsure: Edited by ocmooz

So if I should go with ddr2 then why not stay with what I have? :unsure:

Because a Phenom II 940 performs better than an E8400?

Take a look around at benches between similar systems with DDR2 and DDR3. It doesn't make a bit of difference in real world performance. But it sounds like you've already got your mind made up, so I say just order what you want and don't worry about what we say.

Well I'd like to thank you guys for your advice. It seems though that now isn't the time to upgrade yet. Between what has been said here and all the reading I've been doing I am probably better off not upgrading. I have one final question though. Would it be worth my while to get the proc and an AM2+ board to use with the memory I already have until such a time comes that it is worth it? Maybe even just go with the 945 and a 790gx mobo.

Well I'd like to thank you guys for your advice. It seems though that now isn't the time to upgrade yet. Between what has been said here and all the reading I've been doing I am probably better off not upgrading. I have one final question though. Would it be worth my while to get the proc and an AM2+ board to use with the memory I already have until such a time comes that it is worth it? Maybe even just go with the 945 and a 790gx mobo.

945's a waste of money too, because IT will have the same memory bottlenecks you're experiencing with the e8400 since it can't be overclocked memory independent like the 940 can

I heard AMD will launch a new CPU soon; it will be the 965. It may be worth waiting to see what it is. ;)

Edit: Other than that, I am using the combo 955/MA790FXT-UD5P almost everyday. It is great and overclocks really well.

Edited by The Smith