Bioshock Will Not Load

airman

After setting up this new i7 rig, I wanted to test this thing out in Bioshock because that's something I already have on steam. After running into the problem first, I made sure I had the latest forcewares, redownloaded the game cache and after that didn't work I reinstalled steam completely.

The issue is once I select a new game and choose the difficulty. Once the game begins to load, the loading screen is very dim and looks like it was in the process of "fading up", but never made it. After that - it just hangs there.

I can't get a screenshot, I tried. So far this is the only game this happens in. Putting FC2 on here right now to see if it does it there.

edit: FC2 works. On a note, bioshock does not totally freeze here. The noise in the background is still present (you know, the ambient noise that plays during loading/etc).

Edited by airman

How long have you left it sitting?

Eh, maybe 5 minutes. Long enough to go change clothes and brush my teeth this morning.

Let it go for another 10. Still a no-go.

Edited by airman

This happened to me! (on the non-Steam version)

By chance, do you have a graphics tablet hooked up to your PC?

Once I disabled my graphics tablet, Bioshock worked perfectly.

To disable my graphics tablet without having to disconnect it, I use AlacrityPC and set up a game profile there, and select all my graphics tablet background services to turn off before said game launches (it also allows you to disable other stuff if you want as well, like turning off Aero will in a game). It's a great FREE program.

Hopefully that's your problem...if not, then it could be some other piece of hardware you have connected.

This happened to me! (on the non-Steam version)

By chance, do you have a graphics tablet hooked up to your PC?

Once I disabled my graphics tablet, Bioshock worked perfectly.

To disable my graphics tablet without having to disconnect it, I use AlacrityPC and set up a game profile there, and select all my graphics tablet background services to turn off before said game launches (it also allows you to disable other stuff if you want as well, like turning off Aero will in a game). It's a great FREE program.

Hopefully that's your problem...if not, then it could be some other piece of hardware you have connected.

WOW, yes - I do. I'll try that as soon as I get home. Thanks Clay, I'll let yall know how it turns out.

WOW, yes - I do. I'll try that as soon as I get home. Thanks Clay, I'll let yall know how it turns out.

np. It was driving me nuts when it occurred to me.

I hadn't played Bioshock in a year, so first I thought my saved games got corrupted, so I tried creating a new game...same prob.

So then I uninstalled it and reinstalled it...still no luck.

I was trying to think what the hell changed on my PC over the last year. Then I remembered how I had to disable my graphics tablet for FC2 to run smoothly, and voila, what do you know, Bioshock worked again!

Wow, I almost want to re-install bioshock just to see if I get the same issue but I don't want to lose my saves so I won't be.

I didn't lose my saves. I THOUGHT they were corrupt until I realized my graphics tablet was the issue. Once I disabled that, I was able to resume my saved games just fine :D