Documents Help

DanTheGamer11

Does anybody know how to copy all files in documents and setting because windows is saying it cannot copy it.

Documents are easy, provided you keep everything in "My Documents".

C:\Documents and Settings\%user%\My Documents

"Settings" get a bit more tricky. Every application stores things differently, some in app data, some in program files, and others in the registry. The best place to start is at the main Docs & Settings level...

C:\Documents and Settings\%user%\ - You'll find some settings here. Desktop items, IE bookmarks and cookies, user speciffic start menu items, etc.

C:\Documents and Settings\%user%\Application Data - Hidden folder. This is where a number of applications will throw settings, configuration items, etc.

C:\Program Files - Some applications will keep settings here rather than the app data folder.

As far as Windows settings, those are all over the place. Your best bet there it to use the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" and push everything to a USB or network drive. IIRC you can also copy your docs with this process.... it's been a while since I've had a need to use it.

I'd just do a backup with Norton Ghost or something... but otherwise, just copy the important files and do a proper reinstall. Redoing all the settings isn't that bad really!

I made a recovery file of the partition which is 2 months old, will a newer version of Documents and Settings work with the 2 motnhs back recovery file?