Reinstall XP

DanTheGamer11

1. Solution back up the partition via copying to a second/external hard drive or another partition.

2. Use a hard drive tool such as Acronis to create an image and burn them to dvds.

3. If the data you want to save isn't on the MAIN OS partition you don't have to back it up at all. Just makes sure you don't select that partition to reformat or overwrite with Windows Xp install. (Part of #1, for another partition option).

4. If you have extra empty space, use Window's Disk Management Tool to create another partition on your current hard drive and transfer the files. Then reformat and install Xp on the OS partition. Afterwards, launch up the Windows Disk Management Tool again and merge the two partitions into one again. Or leave them as two separate.

Edited by Krazyxazn

All the above is good advice, backing up is a great idea.

After backing up, just use your XP disc to do a repair install. Barring unforseen problems (hence the backups), you should have a new XP install with all of your data intact. This usually works even if your data and OS are on the same partition.

While going through the installation prompts on the XP disc, there is an option to install without formatting. Simply choose this option.

When all is done, your old Windows will be in a folder called "Windows.000" (IIRC) and everything else will still be there.

I never tried it myself, but it seems like it works the same was as using the upgrade option from XP to Vista or Vista to Win 7.

When you get to the point of the Install and have to choose which partition to install Windows on, just press enter over your old one and skip the format process. Wait for a verification from another user before you follow this. I've never tried installing Windows over Windows, unless it was from an upgrade option.

Edited by Krazyxazn