What the...?!!

airman

So I'm in the middle of a small electronic project, and I go sit down at the table I've been working at, and I pick up the battery to hook it back up to do some testing. I had left it unhooked, standing up, opposite the picture. I found this...perplexed...the "cover" that's missing is nowhere to be found.

post-5662-1248794973_thumb.jpg

HOW did this happen? I have never seen a 9v battery do this.

Edited by airman

Hmm odd occurance. Wonder if this happens sometimes or hardly ever. I mean I've seen people take them apart and seen the individual cells of them but I've never seen one come apart on its own.

Hmm odd occurance. Wonder if this happens sometimes or hardly ever. I mean I've seen people take them apart and seen the individual cells of them but I've never seen one come apart on its own.

Not only did it "come apart", but the damn thing blew its end off! I've taken them apart before too, and there is a piece of rectangular cardboard and the plastic piece the metal casing wraps around that is completely missing.

Weird, its usually lions that burst due to mishandling/charging...

This sentence is VERY funny out of context :P

Also, I've never heard of a 9v doing that -by itself-.

Weird, its usually lions that burst due to mishandling/charging... :blink:

This sentence is VERY funny out of context :P
aha!

The wonders of a missed "I" and no hyphen...

:blush:

I agree, that's why I put it in my sig! :P:lol:

ahahaha!

:lol:

I didn't even think of it that way!

I'm honestly busting a gut here...

lmfao

What exactly were you doing to the battery before it blowed itself up?

Powering a relay, a transistor and a diode - like I said I disconnected it before I got up the night before because even with the relay shut off, there is still a slight current draw and I didn't want the battery to die.

Powering a relay, a transistor and a diode - like I said I disconnected it before I got up the night before because even with the relay shut off, there is still a slight current draw and I didn't want the battery to die.

It did that disconnected?!? Strange.

We used to leave two 9volts connected shorted together in hopes one would explode in a desk in electronics class. They would swell and get hot, and sometimes leak, but never actually blow up :( I'm jealous you got one to blow by accident! :lol:.