Wondering which PSU to go with

Hi all,

Currently my system specs are:-

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 2.66Ghz (stock)

Corsair 2 x 2GB DDR2 RAM

Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L MOBO

512MB Radeon HD 4850

Pioneer DVD-RW drive

1 120mm case fan

640GB WD HDD

22" LCD Screen

Antec TruePower II 550W PSU

Basically my goal is to play at 1680x1050 resolution which is native to the 22" screen, preferably with AA.

I'm considering on upgrading the PSU (and video card - probably GeForce GTX 275) and want my PSU to also be "future proof" and be able to handle the next generation of DirectX 11 cards that will come in the near future.

For this, I'm thinking about a good 850W PSU, and just wondering if you guys think that 850W will be enough for any single gpu configuration now or in the future.

The PSU's I was thinking about are the Corsair HX850 and Antec SG-850. These 2 PSU's seem to come highly recommended...just wondering, given my current config (with the addition of one more HDD soon) will 850W do the trick? and what you guys think about these 2 particular brands/models of PSU?

Thanks heaps for any advice and recommendations!

hey guys, thanks for the replies.

I was actually also considering the upgrade because the TPII 550W unit is already 3.5 years old. I purchased it way back in January 2006 with my previous system and carried it over to the new one which I got in July 2008. I figured, it might be getting a little old after such a long time. Personally, I'm not sure what kind of damages could be caused to system components if a PSU was to die - hopefully it wouldn't take anything with it.

When I do go with one of the 850W units, I was leaning towards antec because the SG-850 unit is about 17 dollars cheaper, similar performance to HX850, plus my experience with the TPII 550W unit has been very good.

Edited by Mr Anonymous

Actually, after doing some quick research, you should get neither the Corsair nor the Antec! Check these out:

Silverstone ST85EF 850W - 160$

Seasonic M12D SS-850W - 180$

Corsair TX850W - 140$

If you have the money, the Seasonic is the obvious choice, great PSU! The TX850W Corsair is also very good, I have the 750W version. But really, with a modular Seasonic at a price that is at least 60$ less than the Antec SG-850W, that really is a no-brainer!

Well yea, they're also well reviewed, but only their higher wattage units are any good. In that power and price bracket, I'd know of 5 alternatives I'd rather choose than a Coolermaster, e.g. Antec, PCP&C, OCZ, Seasonic, Silverstone, Corsair, Be Quiet! etcetera.

He's just being a snob. :lol:

Anyway, as to the OP, if you were insistent on getting something as big as 850W (which should certainly handle any single graphics card for a good while), then the two you were looking at are indeed very good choices. King also brings up some more, of which I would say the Seasonic is of comparable quality.

If I was buying today then I would happily take any one of those three and at current newegg prices the Seasonic would probably get my money:

MD12 SS-850 - $179.99 (+ $30 mail in rebate)

HX850 - $194.99

SG850 - $229.99

You could pick any of them simply out of personal preference though.

The mushkin xp-800 is one of the better PSUs on the market as far as DC quality goes. The reviewers here use it exclusively in all of their test beds and it's got a pretty attractive price at $119 with free shipping directly from mushkin. I would definitely consider that one.

The review is here:

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/mu...n_xp800ap_800w/

Thanks all once again :)

The SeaSonic definately looks like an interesting choice.

PSU's have definately changed since I got the TPII-550W. Back in January 2006 this was a very high-end PSU that I got, along with (at the time) a powerful 256MB 7800GTX and AMD X2 4200+ CPU :)

Sorry for the total noob question here, but just want to confirm, with all this modular stuff in regards to PSU with the below image for example:-

DSCF0206.jpg

Any of the first 4 connectors (6 pin) from the left of the above image are for the PATA(Molex cable) and SATA cable connections, while of course the 2 on the right are for the 6 + 2 pin PCI-E cable connections? From what I've noticed this kinda seems to be the standard for the newer modular PSU's, although for some like Antec SG-850 they colour code the PCI-E connectors with a "red" color, while all the PATA/SATA ones are black.