Viexi

How does this build sound for gaming?

I'll be honest, I'm actually using the aforementioned PC to type this message.

I kinda figured that based on your other threads. You should really just be honest though. There's no sense in making us believe you're going to order this when you've already got it. But it's a bit hard to follow now. The rig is old, but the PSU is new? Is that right? You ordered a new PSU? Did you cancel that, or no? I can't really follow what's happening.

I looked into the details and I can still return it if I submit it to the distributor within the next three days, so that shouldn't be a problem. What kind of revisions did you have in mind, IVIY?

If you were able to return what you bought, I personally would make major changes. Well, just one really, but a major one none the less. I would suggest an AMD processor. Either the tri-core 720 or the quad-core 940, probably the 720 because as I said in your other thread, quads still aren't really worth it for a lot of games and such. That would be a much better performance per dollar CPU though. But that would mean changing your motherboard, too, obviously.

If you insisted on Intel, I'd say probably keep your motherboard (I don't know the specifics of it though... a link could be handy) and get a faster dual-core. Either E8400 or E7400, just depending on cash.

I was just gonna suggest the Phenom II route, judging by the Q8200 I can tell you're on a tight budget. An AMD system would be much better for the tighter cashflow you have to work with. mATX boards aren't bad (though I'm not sure if they are more expensive for what features you get with them versus the standard ATX board) What kinda PSU are you using??

I really think you oughta send that back and start from scratch. You can configure a MUCH better build for that money

Atm I'm using a 500w PSU with a single PCIe power connector. It's been reliable but it just wont power a 275.

I considered an AMD but I saw benchmarks comparing them to Core 2's and they really seemed to diminish in performance considerably o.o

I've shopped around for about 4 months now and I couldn't find anything worth my money at all, then I see this mATX intel and think "That looks awesome!" without actually knowing it's an mATX. I can't seem to find a good deal anywhere here in the UK =/ They're all ridiculously overpriced. A typical dual core with 2GB of RAM is about

Edited by Danrik

Atm I'm using a 500w PSU with a single PCIe power connector. It's been reliable but it just wont power a 275.

I considered an AMD but I saw benchmarks comparing them to Core 2's and they really seemed to diminish in performance considerably o.o

I've shopped around for about 4 months now and I couldn't find anything worth my money at all, then I see this mATX intel and think "That looks awesome!" without actually knowing it's an mATX. I can't seem to find a good deal anywhere here in the UK =/ They're all ridiculously overpriced. A typical dual core with 2GB of RAM is about

Edited by IVIYTH0S

I'd say the Phenom II's hang right up there, if not beat the Core 2's. They are at the very least equal with them (and certainly, no offense, far better than the Q8200)

The 940/955 beats the Q9650 in alot of things, and the 720/550 are the bargain kings.

Agreed, IMO Phenom II it's better than Q8200

alright please clarify?

Did you return everything?

are you going to/can you?

Edited by ShallowBay

alright please clarify?

Did you return everything?

are you going to/can you?

Thats what we are all wondering :D

But with 1150-1300 US, you can make an execellent system either, AMD or Intel. Phenom2 x4 955 or Core i7 920 is possible to fit in that budget. But on the other hand if you want to stay under your budget then, that is possible as well, while still having an execellent gaming rig.

mATX..Lanbox?! hehe

Edited by bbbrad

Thats what we are all wondering :D

But with 1150-1300 US, you can make an execellent system either, AMD or Intel. Phenom2 x4 955 or Core i7 920 is possible to fit in that budget. But on the other hand if you want to stay under your budget then, that is possible as well, while still having an execellent gaming rig.

mATX..Lanbox?! hehe

I can't seem to fit i7 into anything with that kind of budget =/ It's all up in the

Edited by Danrik

That's a pretty darn good system. If you could find the same setup but using DDR2 you could save another $20 or so.

It was done on Overclockers.co.uk using their PC configurator menu. There wasn't any other choice for a motherboard on there, just the memory.

EDIT: What if I were to buy a new DDR2 AMD motherboard in a few months? I still have my Quad core which will run fine for now. It's got 4Gb's of RAM (800Mhz), a selection of old, empty ATX cases, I'll be buying the ENGTX275 in a few days so that would stay constant...

Would I need to change anything else if I were to change the motherboard, other than the processor? Would I be able to use my old RAM, etc.?

Edited by Danrik

Still confused....

You have your current quad core, but I thought you were returning all of that?

Your 4Gb of DDR2 800Mhz Ram will run just fine in an AMD 790 mobo that supports DDR2. If you can afford the extra $20 I'd just bite the bullet and buy the system you have outlined here :

Coolermaster Elite 330 Midi Tower Case

AMD Phenom II X3 Tri Core 720 Black Edition 2.80GHz

Akasa AK-967 Nero Direct Contact Heatpipe CPU Cooler

Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard

Corsair XMS3 DHX 4GB (2x2GB) 1600C9DHX TwinX Dual Channel

Asus GeForce GTX 275 896MB

Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 500GB SATA II

Sony Optiarc AD-7240S 24x DVD+RW

OnBoard Sound Card

Corsair TX 650W Silent Power Supply

Still confused....

You have your current quad core, but I thought you were returning all of that?

Your 4Gb of DDR2 800Mhz Ram will run just fine in an AMD 790 mobo that supports DDR2. If you can afford the extra $20 I'd just bite the bullet and buy the system you have outlined here :

:withstupid:

don't wait!!! you got robbed for a processor like you have, get rid of it pronto!!

:withstupid:

don't wait!!! you got robbed for a processor like you have, get rid of it pronto!!

Wow. That is really blunt. Edging on rudeness, I'd say.

He seems to have made up his mind, so you could at least be a little more tactful about the system he's most likely going to end up with.