Getting my E8400 stable @ 4Ghz

Hey guys,

First of all, this is my first post, and hoping to become a helpful member within this community.

My specs are:

Gigabyte ga-ep45-ud3p

e8400 o.c 4ghz

g.skill 4gb ddr2 800 ram

win7 rc x64

thermalright ultra 120

anyway, i pushed my CPU to 4Ghz, and changing the vcore from 1.2 to 1.26 and ran fine, however i got blue screens now and then, so I put up my ram voltage from 1.8 to 1.82 and it didn't help. Are there any other voltage options i should be changing (cpu termination for example) that could jelp me achieve a stable o.c? I am going to run a prime95 test all day tomorrow anyway.

Thanks in advance.

Just some useful info

FSB 445

multiplier x9

ram multiplier x2

ram o.c freq 890

vcore normal 1.2

vram normal 1.8

Did you go straight up to 4GHz or did you take some steps along the way?

If you went straight up to it, I'd back down a bit and slowly build back up, doing stability testing along the way.

If you have been taking it up slowly (and testing) then you do still have a bit more vcore to play with. Up to 1.4v should be fine, more if you feel comfortable with it.

I have put in around 1.5v into my E8400 (though only for short periods).

You'll want to look at your NB voltages and a couple of other voltages too (I'm not sure exactly what options you have in you BIOS? Or at least what they will be labelled with.)

Like jammin said, you can't just go to 4ghz and have someone tell you the voltages. It's up to your processor. Go slowly and you will find the balance between the voltages available to you.

No don't use easy tune. It's good if you are like me that can boot at 4.5ghz but to get any higher you need to use easy tuner to tweak it for benchmarks. It's not good to use for your main overclocking.

Ok, I put up the Vcore Termination from 1.20 (or 2.20 whatever) up to an extra 0.02V, and got my vcore up to 1.368 in BIOS, and seems to be running fine.

Would it also be worth O.C my RAM? stock is at 800Mhz, and its @ 890 with the FSB 445, would it be changing the multiplier and get it over 1000? If so, how much would you think would I need to up the vram by?

@ Shiver_8: What is the NB Voltage title called under the M.I.T menu? You would know more than me, you have the same motherboard and o.c higher than it.

Ok i went up in steps 3.3, 3.5, 3.7, 3.8, 3.9, 4.0 and 4.0 is where it stsrts to not boot up without voltage changes. I have my vcore at 1.25 (1.216 in cpu-z) and ram @ 1.9. Just stress testing now and post results to see where to improve