Mac VS Pc

Mac Hate This is a warning to you, I've used macs and I don't mind them but I never owned.

I'd have to say that video is really old and doesn't really qualify as a Mac insult because Macs have changed so much since then.

These Mac VS PC topics should really be renamed OSX VS Windows because most of the time people are comparing operating system features and stability, viruses problems, security related issues, software function ability which all fall into the category of software and not hardware.

Like I have said before comparing Mac VS PC is like comparing apples or oranges they have different groups that there meant for and I don't really think you can say one of them is just better and can do everything better then another.

Although there are some points that Mac fans use to bash Windows PCs that just don't seem fair or logical but there still commonly used like.

Mac or should I say OSX doesn't get viruses which is not true although they don't nearly as many as Windows products do its still possible to get one. In fact I'd be more worried about getting a virus on OSX then Windows because when a virus is made for Windows it's usually hours or a few days or so before a major anti-virus company and Microsoft figure out a way to patch it and remove it. Unlike Apple which most of the time usually doesn't do anything or even acknowledge there is a problem for months and then quietly releases a patch that fixes the problem so they don't hurt there "Macs don't get viruses title"

Some people say that Macs have better quality hardware then PCs which is simply not true. For the most part Macs and PCs use the same hardware although Macs have special made versions for there computers.

A lot of Mac fans tend to forget things like

When a Mac breaks you've got limited repair options. Most of the time you cannot buy replacement hardware for a Mac and fix it yourself. You have to either send it into Apple or find a Mac certified repair shop both of which will cost you a lot unless your under warranty to get a fix.

If you have a Mac laptop that has got some dead or stuck pixels on the screen how do you know when it's covered by the warranty? your guess is as good as mine? You don't Apple has a magic number which they don't tell there customers and on top of that if they think the screen isn't bad enough to replace they charge you an evaluation fee.

If you suspect your display contains a high number of pixel anomalies, take your Apple product to an Apple Authorized Service Provider for closer examination. There may be a charge for the evaluation.

Limited upgrade options you can pretty much replace only the hard drive and memory that's it in most cases.

Over Priced hardware is always an issue when your buying Macs just look at the one mattwalter85 was looking at you could probably build a PC with the same standards for half that price or less. Or build a much better PC and get more bang for your buck.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont believe mac's and pc's have the same hardware at all really other then nvidia video cards/video chipsets on board and intel processors that have proven themselves trust worthy for years now. look at the mac mini for example....its the size of a cd....who makes a motherboard that small WITH onboard sound, video, usb, fireware, sata.....u get my point. Apple really has some truely amazing hardware another thing is most apple pc's use fully buffered ram just like you'd find in high end servers. this memory does COST ALOT MORE(which might explain the higher price) but is def more stable and performs better. do you know of any normal pc mobo's that even allow you to use fully buffered ram???? most of the people on here that are bashing apple are doing so because they're idiots and know nothing about the company of their hardware/software. I dont know much but at least im willing to give them a chance and learn. i used to not even know how to build a computer and i've built 27 so far........... if someone was to ask me if i thought apple pc's were better quality then the top leading competitior whoever that might be. hp, dell, gateway, sony, etc..... i'd say yes i do believe they're better quality and just like the CEO of apple told everyone last year in a press conference if i lower the prices of my products then i have to take away quality parts i use to build them and i dont want to do that which is why you are paying for quality when you buy an apple product. its also not really fair to say they are not upgradeable when most of the apple products are very simple to upgrade the ram in including the imac and expecially easy in the mac pro desktop which is basically a server none the less. isn't it funny also that they are the first company i've seen to make a motherbaord that will house and run too socket 1366 xenon's???? u guys dont find that interesting or the fact that their desktop will hold 32gb of ddr3 memory...... most people should do more research before they just think of a smart butt comment to type on here just because they're bored.

i dont believe mac's and pc's have the same hardware at all really other then nvidia video cards/video chipsets on board and intel processors that have proven themselves trust worthy for years now. look at the mac mini for example....its the size of a cd....who makes a motherboard that small WITH onboard sound, video, usb, fireware, sata.....u get my point. Apple really has some truely amazing hardware another thing is most apple pc's use fully buffered ram just like you'd find in high end servers. this memory does COST ALOT MORE(which might explain the higher price) but is def more stable and performs better. do you know of any normal pc mobo's that even allow you to use fully buffered ram???? most of the people on here that are bashing apple are doing so because they're idiots and know nothing about the company of their hardware/software. I dont know much but at least im willing to give them a chance and learn. i used to not even know how to build a computer and i've built 27 so far........... if someone was to ask me if i thought apple pc's were better quality then the top leading competitior whoever that might be. hp, dell, gateway, sony, etc..... i'd say yes i do believe they're better quality and just like the CEO of apple told everyone last year in a press conference if i lower the prices of my products then i have to take away quality parts i use to build them and i dont want to do that which is why you are paying for quality when you buy an apple product. its also not really fair to say they are not upgradeable when most of the apple products are very simple to upgrade the ram in including the imac and expecially easy in the mac pro desktop which is basically a server none the less. isn't it funny also that they are the first company i've seen to make a motherbaord that will house and run too socket 1366 xenon's???? u guys dont find that interesting or the fact that their desktop will hold 32gb of ddr3 memory...... most people should do more research before they just think of a smart butt comment to type on here just because they're bored.

You made me lol again. thanks :lol:

thats all u can say? plz go ahead and insult me like you always do Clay, unless you're one of the idiots i was talking about

He's lol'ing because a lot of what you said is wrong, and what's not wrong sounds like someone who "drank the kool-aid". They do use the same parts and you CAN get buffered memory in a PC if you really want to. Do you want to know why it's not common? Because it's not useful. You can't get motherboards with pencil-sharpeners on them either, but maybe there's a reason for that. :rolleyes:

Your post just comes across as someone who's watched a few "how to be a Mac fan" videos and is now spouting a lot of things they don't understand. That's not me "Mac bashing" either. Personally, I'm fine with Macs if they do what you need, but your post is just a lot of opinion with very little backing, not to mention that most of it is easily disproven.

As we said before, it's TOTALLY obvious that you just want to buy a Mac, so go buy your Mac. Why do you need us to tell you it's OK? You obviously came here already knowing what you wanted and now you're just sticking around trying to convince us but it seems to me that you're really trying to convince yourself because our opinion shouldn't matter if it's what you want.

1. It may have been different in the past, but Macs do now generally use exactly the same components as a regular PC. That they use customised motherboard designs is neither here nor there.

2. The Mac Mini is certainly a very neat little design, but it isn't like small motherboards don't exist.

3. The Mac Pro is the only Mac that uses ECC memory, because as you say, it is the only Mac running on a server platform.

4. I haven't seen much out and out Mac bashing in this thread. It can certainly get a lot worse. There has been some good factual information presented as well.

5. Yes, Macs are more expensive, product designers need to get paid too and Apple certainly employs some good ones. The price premium isn't particularly for the base hardware though (electronics). Material selection, interaction design, consumer experience, other factors, all things that Apple do very well are more likely to account for that.

6. Upgrades - mostly about as easy to upgrade as your average laptop, which means no easy CPU or GPU replacements. In comparison to the average desktop PC that is difficult. The Mac Pro is of course basically a desktop PC format, albeit with a server motherboard.

7. There are plenty of motherboards that will accept two socket 1366 xeons.

I'm not playing down the good points about Macs (there is a lot about them that I admire), but the problem is that a lot of what you claim just isn't really true.

I was going to read the whole thing but a few lines into it I realized I don't have to.

Name one instance where buffered RAM is a benefit on a desktop. Then, browse MATX mobos for tiny integrated motherboards to use for HTPC's or even Carputers. After that browse server motherboards for multi-socket setups since they are far from the first - hint: When I first got into PCs in the late 90's I owned a dual celeron rig...

None of that stuff is anything new. You may want to research more on a subject before you argue about it, because you may run into someone that can call your bluff :).

1. It may have been different in the past, but Macs do now generally use exactly the same components as a regular PC. That they use customised motherboard designs is neither here nor there.

2. The Mac Mini is certainly a very neat little design, but it isn't like small motherboards don't exist.

3. The Mac Pro is the only Mac that uses ECC memory, because as you say, it is the only Mac running on a server platform.

4. I haven't seen much out and out Mac bashing in this thread. It can certainly get a lot worse. There has been some good factual information presented as well.

5. Yes, Macs are more expensive, product designers need to get paid too and Apple certainly employs some good ones. The price premium isn't particularly for the base hardware though (electronics). Material selection, interaction design, consumer experience, other factors, all things that Apple do very well are more likely to account for that.

6. Upgrades - mostly about as easy to upgrade as your average laptop, which means no easy CPU or GPU replacements. In comparison to the average desktop PC that is difficult. The Mac Pro is of course basically a desktop PC format, albeit with a server motherboard.

7. There are plenty of motherboards that will accept two socket 1366 xeons.

I'm not playing down the good points about Macs (there is a lot about them that I admire), but the problem is that a lot of what you claim just isn't really true.

:withstupid:

I'm not certain about the iPod but most of Apples computers are middle of the range hardware (except for the cpus) taken from other manufacturers just as HP, Dell, Compaq etc do.

Even the Macbook Air that was touted as such an amazing Apple design was 99% Intel's design and 1% Apple design (OS and physical shell).

I'm not bashing Apple, I'm just saying that just because it appears to be and is stated as being "designed" by Apple doesn't mean that they actually designed much more than the enclosure.

That being said I like OSX, its pretty good, I could never fully switch to OSX from a Microsoft OS but I'll give it credit where credit is due...

of course u can find alot of dual socket motherbaords but there are not many dual i7/xeon socket mobo's..... and show me another computer that's being produced right now that u can slide the hard drives out of like on the mac pro where they just plug right into the motherboard and one where u can slide the processors and memory out while leaving the rest alone........ i'm not a mac fanboy because i hardly know anything about them but like i said before at least im willing to learn because i like technology and no matter what anyone on here says os x be it leopard or 64 bit snow leopard is WAY ahead of anything microsoft has to offer at the moment....... lets see someone argue that one. oh and by the way did any of you know bill gates has a mac pro in his office at microsoft that he uses on a daily basis......... guess not

i'm not a mac fanboy because i hardly know anything about them

Based on the diatribe you're spurting out, you clearly know little about computers in general, let alone macs.

I can slide hard drives in and out of my computer. Just not the main OS drive when it is running. Any other drive can be removed. IT is called hot swapping. You also slide the memory out as well. Again just not when it is on. I don't thik you cna that with mas os either.

I can also take my processor out. It is the same basic concept with any motherboard. It can remove any part I want and leave my other parts alone.

I really don't see what you are getting at here.

of course u can find alot of dual socket motherbaords but there are not many dual i7/xeon socket mobo's..... and show me another computer that's being produced right now that u can slide the hard drives out of like on the mac pro where they just plug right into the motherboard and one where u can slide the processors and memory out while leaving the rest alone........ i'm not a mac fanboy because i hardly know anything about them but like i said before at least im willing to learn because i like technology and no matter what anyone on here says os x be it leopard or 64 bit snow leopard is WAY ahead of anything microsoft has to offer at the moment....... lets see someone argue that one. oh and by the way did any of you know bill gates has a mac pro in his office at microsoft that he uses on a daily basis......... guess not

Dude, you're really making Mac owners look like idiots with posts like these. Trying to pass off as fact the incredulous rumor of Bill Gates having a Mac Pro in his office just makes you seem naive at best, retarded at worst. Do us Mac owners a favor and stop trying to defend the Mac platform. Just buy one and leave this thread be.

I can slide hard drives in and out of my computer. Just not the main OS drive when it is running. Any other drive can be removed. IT is called hot swapping. You also slide the memory out as well. Again just not when it is on. I don't thik you cna that with mas os either.

I can also take my processor out. It is the same basic concept with any motherboard. It can remove any part I want and leave my other parts alone.

I really don't see what you are getting at here.

He was referring to the physical design of the Mac Pro's case. It has a nice slide out design for the hard drives and the memory. Check out pictures or a video to get a better idea of what he's referring to.