My New Build - PLEASE COMMENT ON IT!

sup3rchan

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay. I've decided to go with the Phenom 940.

As for motherboards, I've heard things about Foxconn, Asus and Gigabyte.

Recommendations?

Foxconn's are supposedly pretty good for how cheap they are. Asus I've had in previous builds and aside from the two crappy nvidia chipset ones, the older intel chipset board worked great. I love my new Gigabyte too, and also the Gigabyte that's running with my dad's 940. I can only recommend Asus and gigabyte from personal experience though.

Foxconn's are supposedly pretty good for how cheap they are. Asus I've had in previous builds and aside from the two crappy nvidia chipset ones, the older intel chipset board worked great. I love my new Gigabyte too, and also the Gigabyte that's running with my dad's 940. I can only recommend Asus and gigabyte from personal experience though.

Any specific product recommendations? I'm not too sure about the types of motherboards compatible with phenoms. I'm not looking to go for dual gpus, and is probably sticking to ddr2.

edit:

I did some research and came upon these boards:

ASUS M3A78-EM

ASUS M3A78-CM

GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P

What's the difference between the two ASUS boards, and how is the Gigabyte board better ($50+) other than the fact that it can support DDR2 1333 while the other two boards only go up to 1066?

Thanks guys, I'm really close to finishing!

On a side note, anybody with a good modular PSU suggestion? I have the CMPSU which is a great deal, but it isn't modular.

Edited by sup3rchan

The point is that it won't be a bit harder, it's highly likely that it just wont go as high.

Where do you hear this crap? It will overclock higher just not as easy.

<_<

The point is that it won't be a bit harder, it's highly likely that it just wont go as high.

What are you basing this on? I've not heard this before. Do you have any links for this, or are you just basing this on the locked multi?

edit:

I did some research and came upon these boards:

ASUS M3A78-EM

ASUS M3A78-CM

GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P

What's the difference between the two ASUS boards, and how is the Gigabyte board better ($50+) other than the fact that it can support DDR2 1333 while the other two boards only go up to 1066?

The ASUS M3A78-CM has 6 SATAII ports and uses the 3100 video for on-board video, the ASUS M3A78-EM has only 5 SATAII ports, has an integrated HDMI port for the on-board video and uses the 3200 for on-board video. The EM also seems to have a better on-board sound chip. The CM only lists a 8Channel HD sound, the CM lists the Realtek ALC1200 by name.

The Gigabyte you have listed now looks like it's a deactivated item - which means Newegg.com is current sold out and aren't sure if they're going to be getting any more (could be reactiveated at any time). The Gigabyte looks like it's a much more full featured motherboard. It will handle double the memory (16Gb vs. only 8Gb for both Asus boards), is capable of Crossfire, has 2 more PCI-E x1 slots and can do raid 5 and JBOD (the ASUS boards only do 0/1/10).

Where do you hear this crap? It will overclock higher just not as easy.

<_<

What are you basing this on? I've not heard this before. Do you have any links for this, or are you just basing this on the locked multi?

I've never seen anyone overclock an AMD chip high unless they used the multiplier with a black edition, otherwise I don't see a point to using the multiplier since it'd be better to overclock without it. (or so I'd assume, because then the whole system would be worked up and be faster overall???)

I thought that AMD's were very limited in how much you could change the base clock, sorry if I've been wrong but maybe it's just because they make the black edition chips so affordable that no one bothers to get a normal chip and overclock via base clock.

If what you're all saying it true, then I'm kinda pissed I didn't get my dad the 920 instead of the 940

Edited by IVIYTH0S

I've only OC'd 2 940s so far so my experience is limited but I have found a combination of increasing the bus speed and the multiplier on Black Edition CPUs to yield the highest overall speed as opposed to using either bus speed or multiplier seperately.

Sorry to everyone for my lack of knowledge, I just want some proof of someone getting as high or higher with the base clock alone.

Heck I just got my 940 system running so I'll see what I can come up with (though it's my dad's computer, and is only being cooled by a duOrb so I don't know how far I'll get tempwise)

also I may be held back by my 800mhz memory too, unless I actually drop down the multiplier (and still not really be "taking advantage" of the unlocked multiplier since even locked intels have this ability)

Edited by IVIYTH0S

err

So a friend of mine is coming up from the States in a week, and he can carry some parts over for me. Now I'm almost decided on the Phenom 955 with a ASUS M4A78-E motherboard combo.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDet...st=Combo.211664

It comes to around $260 US, which is less than $300 CAD.

My question is, is the motherboard any good with the 955 and DDR2 memory?

Thanks guys, sorry to throw a curveball at y'all.