Does this Laptop Exist?

My 17" gateway is nice. Weighs about 8lbs I figure and its not too hard on me to lug it around either. Specs in sig. Pretty much go with what ever your willing to lug around. If you think you can take the weight of a 17" then by all means get one but if your going midrange with weight and performance then a 15" is just as good.

Edited by Compxpert

Compxpert, your Gateway would be great, except its battery lasts about 5 hours less than I would like.

I don't think that there will be many Core 2 Duo's that have 17" screens and can get 8 hours of battery life out of anything but a Plane battery. That is why I wanted the Atom. I would certainly prefer a C2D, but that is not realistic.

And 8 hours battery life and 17 inch screens are my first priority. No 13.3" will do it for me. nor will a 15.4" or anything like that. I'm OK with a laptop that weighs ~20lbs If it can meet the requirements. Really.

Well you could certainly build one yourself!

Honestly that wouldn't be too hard... If you can grab a 17" laptop chassis and a netbook's motherboard, just slap it in, there should be enough room :) Then with some knowledge in electricity you could pack up many batteries in the remaining space inside so that you get the desired battery life.

The Atom platform can run a 17" screen no problem, so it should be doable. When I had one, I was doing some photoshop on my external 24"!

Battery life and large laptop screens are just to things that don't go together.

That's not because of the screen...just the components that go into them.