DVD drive

Does not burn my lap

Costs under $1000

Stays cool.

Don't care:

Hard drive

RAM

OS

It must have a few of the negotiable things. At least 2 I would say. Ideally the fifth and third. The rest I can live with.

Edited by Glow of fire

I don't think it exists. Like The Smith said, I don't think they put atom processors in laptops with 17" screens. Also, with a 17" screen I think you'd be hard pressed to find 8 hours of battery life. A screen that size takes a lot of juice to light up.

Why the hell would you even want a 17" on a laptop?? Thats more of a Tabletop.

Further, if you want all those specs, why an Atom? And yea, 17" & 8 hours battery life, are pretty much mutually exclusive.

What oyu have asked for there is a mashup of Netbook and tabletop.

EITHER you can get:

17"

DVD Drive

OR you can get:

Atom

8hrs battery life

both would cost under $1000.

But, as I said, you cant have all those things in one. Even if you could, that would be a terrible computer.

A screen that size takes a lot of juice to light up.

Screen size has very little to do with battery life now that screens are LED backlit. :)

Take a word of advice from someone who has been lugging various laptops around for years now: Get the smallest laptop you can that you can still type on comfortably! I have a Samsung Q45 12.1" laptop now, and I don't think I will ever go beyond 12 inches again! Used to have a 15.4" HP (3.5kg), then a 14" HP (~2.5kg), an 11" Compaq (1kg, but it was only a 500MHz P3) and now this (1.68kg). There is nothing better than a small laptop that is light with 5 hours of battery life!

Im "lugging" a 17 inch around, but thats because it is my work computer that I use at home and at the office. I needed the screen real estate and the portability. I would say buy the laptop that has the screen size you want that you are also willing to carry around.

You definitely need to check out the Acer Timeline series. They only go up to 15.6", but they use Intel's Ultra-Low voltage processors (Core 2 architecture so definitely better than Intel Atom) and the 13.3" and 14" models can easily manage 8 hours of light use. I'd assume the 15.6" can as well. The are also pretty light, with the 15.6"(w/dvd drive) model weighing 5.3 pounds. The best part is that they can be had for just $599.99.

I realize that it isn't exactly what you are looking for, but it's the closest I've seen to what you are looking for. Also, don't be fooled by the fact that the core 2 solo series has a slow clockspeed and only one core; the architecture makes it easily more powerful than the intel atom. There is a dualcore in the line-up though, if you want it.

I like 15" laptops for they are the best laptops when it comes for powerful punch and affordability, but I do believe that everyone should just get netbooks from now on. I know I'd be just as happy with a netbook since gaming on a laptop is horrible (and a mobile graphics card has about a week of decent playability before the next newest game comes out and you also realize that you are playing 2-3 year old games at a low or partially medium settings) Though I love my Sager to death, though if it croaks I wont hesitate to buy a netbook (even though my phone's a pocket pc lol)

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Ok, well thanks for informing me that such a laptop does not exist yet. However, I shall remain hopeful.

I don't think there will be a laptop with a large screen and an Intel atom CPU any time soon.

Battery life and large laptop screens are just to things that don't go together. For the most part I've always had laptops with large screens and they've always had poor battery life. My old laptop a dell E1705 17inch screen brand new 9-cell battery only gets about 2 hours of battery life in power saver mode (which usually means dimming the screen all the way reducing the quality of the picture) and 1:30 minutes in full power mode. And my new HP HDX 18t which has a 18 inch screen gets about the same results with an 8-cell battery which is the largest size battery HP offers for that model.

Poor battery life has never really been a problem for me though because very rarely am I in a location that doesn't have a plug and most battery's don't last very long after about a year to a year and a half of use moderate usage they start to loose there ability to hold a charge and replacing them are expensive typically laptop batterys cost about $100 or more to replace.