Harry Potter and The Half Blood Prince

damian

I read them before they started making movies. The Harry Potter series has been very good to me and other students. Grades 6-10 had to reach a certain amount of points at the end of the year. Only way to get those points were to read books and take a quiz on them. The Harry Potter books were worth quite a lot. So many people read them.

I didn't know anything about Harry Potter when I first saw it. I just looked at the back cover and saw all the points. Picked it up and read it. Then I realized there were some unexplained events and found out I was actually reading the second book first lol. Although it wasn't hard to follow. I finished reading the second one, then went on to tackle the rest of the series as they released.

Edited by Krazyxazn

I read them before they started making movies. The Harry Potter series has been very good to me and other students. Grades 6-10 had to reach a certain amount of points at the end of the year. Only way to get those points were to read books and take a quiz on them. The Harry Potter books were worth quite a lot. So many people read them.

I didn't know anything about Harry Potter when I first saw it. I just looked at the back cover and saw all the points. Picked it up and read it. Then I realized there were some unexplained events and found out I was actually reading the second book first lol. Although it wasn't hard to follow. I finished reading the second one, then went on to tackle the rest of the series as they released.

I think I read the 4th book first after having seen the first 3 movies. Then I read the first 3 and finished the rest as they came out.

Picked it up and read it. Then I realized there were some unexplained events and found out I was actually reading the second book first lol.
:closedeyes:

How?

They talk about stuff that happened prior and expect you to know a lot of characters by the second book, not to mention it is his second year at Hogwarts.

What kind of author would throw you into the second year of school?

How weren't you confused?

:blink:

Even without the initial introduction of the setting and characters of the first book; the second book did a good enough job of describing characters. By the first few chapters I knew the characters by their traits and characteristics, how they felt and acted. It really didn't matter to me in the end, about skipping the first book. After all, it was just initially about the points the book was worth.

But when you find a good book you like you really don't want to put it down. Even if you happened to accidentally skip a portion of the story.

Similar to how I can just start watching a movie in the middle and still enjoy it, if it's a good movie.

I do not however intentionally read ahead in books or skip ahead in movies. So I was glad I finished the 6th book long before the masses started blurting out what happened in the end of the book. I don't understand why people would do that with books and movies.

Edited by Krazyxazn

I too started on the second book when I was in like 6th grade I think, my mom was like "heres a book, you read now" and I threw the book aside until one day I got bored and just dug into it and couldn't figure out why I was so confused until I realized it was the second book. :smack:

Alright so the movie was tolerable but they changed a lot of things and blatantly skipped quite a few things as well...

The beginning was different- Harry was never in the subway

Fleur is curiously absent

as is Bill

he never gets maimed by Fenrir either

Not to mention it is brought up right away that Tonks and Remus are "a couple"

and since when is the Weasely's house completely surrounded by a swampy marsh?

their house gets engulfed in flames too, I don't remember that in the book

all of the Scrimgeour scenes are missing as well

A lot of other things are left out

The Felix Felicitas potion made Harry run around looking inebriated

a bunch more stuff

Slughorn ask to take the venom in the movie rather than just stealing it

more stuff

Dumbledore doesn't stun harry and put the cloak over him, he merely tells him to go down the stairs and hide

There is no battle at Hogwarts, they all just walk out no questions asked after Snape killed Dumbledore

So why the EFF were all the death eaters or the cabinet necessary anyways if they merely just stroll out afterwards?

Like I said, no battle, the movie ends with them pretty much being like "oh were going with you too look after the horcrux' Harry!"

yadda yada blah blah

boo hoo

but really...

They left out WAY too much, and the damn movie was 2:30 long!!

They could have stayed truer to the book and it would have been better from the standpoint of the HP geeks and still would have made a good movie...

*sigh*

Alright so the movie was tolerable but they changed a lot of things and blatantly skipped quite a few things as well...

The beginning was different- Harry was never in the subway

Fleur is curiously absent

as is Bill

he never gets maimed by Fenrir either

Not to mention it is brought up right away that Tonks and Remus are "a couple"

and since when is the Weasely's house completely surrounded by a swampy marsh?

their house gets engulfed in flames too, I don't remember that in the book

all of the Scrimgeour scenes are missing as well

A lot of other things are left out

The Felix Felicitas potion made Harry run around looking inebriated

a bunch more stuff

Slughorn ask to take the venom in the movie rather than just stealing it

more stuff

Dumbledore doesn't stun harry and put the cloak over him, he merely tells him to go down the stairs and hide

There is no battle at Hogwarts, they all just walk out no questions asked after Snape killed Dumbledore

So why the EFF were all the death eaters or the cabinet necessary anyways if they merely just stroll out afterwards?

Like I said, no battle, the movie ends with them pretty much being like "oh were going with you too look after the horcrux' Harry!"

yadda yada blah blah

boo hoo

but really...

They left out WAY too much, and the damn movie was 2:30 long!!

They could have stayed truer to the book and it would have been better from the standpoint of the HP geeks and still would have made a good movie...

*sigh*

My thoughts exactly.

Seriously, what was up with adding in that bit with the burrow getting blown up.... :wacko: Why add that in, when they could have just left that out, and instead added the PROPER ending, with the massive fight and then the funeral.]tbh, I found this film disappointing. Mainly because the ending was so far from what it was in the book. I know you gota cut stuff out to make it all fit in, but seriously, if you haven't got enough time to put everything in, why make up some rubbish, and then omit the end.

Edited by xPETEZx

I knew something was missing, but hadn't read the book in a while so I forgot. I thought this was the book where the above mentioned events took place.

I thought someone important died in that fight, or is that in the next book? I thought it was one of the Weasleys.