Swearing can make you feel better

Andrewr05

Swearing can make you feel better.

Obviously thats only one study but I agree, there is a sort of euphoric pain calming response when yell expletives.

I'm not tooting my own horn or anything but I've got a pretty damn high tolerance for pain.

If I start excessively swearing after hurting myself anyone who knows me is certain that it must have hurt like a mother...

Swearing can make you feel better.

Obviously thats only one study but I agree, there is a sort of euphoric pain calming response when yell expletives.

I'm not tooting my own horn or anything but I've got a pretty damn high tolerance for pain.

If I start excessively swearing after hurting myself anyone who knows me is certain that it must have hurt like a mother...

I work on a flight line. Swearing is pretty common place lol. Pain is all in your head, so if you can deal with it, it's not that bad (I've been pretty badly hurt in my life). But yeah, I'd say swearing helps a lot.

If nothing else it makes you feel better by simply getting your point across to someone else that you are in pain. I guess I will have to swear more, what a chore...

I'd be curious to see some demographics on that study. I think as you get older you get less of a kick out of swearing. When you're young it's just awesome and so much fun. As I've aged, I've noticed it's not nearly as fun and I just do it a lot less in general.

I'd be curious to see some demographics on that study. I think as you get older you get less of a kick out of swearing. When you're young it's just awesome and so much fun. As I've aged, I've noticed it's not nearly as fun and I just do it a lot less in general.
I agree, I still swear in certain company on occasion but compared to when I was 15 my mouth has tamed considerably...

Its not true for everyone though, one of my uncles swears whenever wherever regardless of who is present (unless there are kids around) and one of my grandfathers swears a lot regardless of his age.

I swear when things are going badly. Which is pretty much most of the time. :(

I get no enjoyment out of it whatsoever.

On the plus side, most of my neighbors leave me alone, I doubt that there are any of them that haven't gotten an earful. I think that most of them are afraid of me. :lol:

On the plus side, most of my neighbors leave me alone, I doubt that there are any of them that haven't gotten an earful. I think that most of them are afraid of me.

They're afraid because your a bear. :lol:

I can relate to that a bit, as I've grown up... what little that has been done anyway, only 17 right now, but yes, I have noticed it loses it's glamor eventually. Usually the only time I use it anymore is just when I am goofing around, I don't really make much mind of pain anymore so... unless I have broken a bone I usually don't swear about it.

I swear when things are going badly. Which is pretty much most of the time. :(

I get no enjoyment out of it whatsoever.

On the plus side, most of my neighbors leave me alone, I doubt that there are any of them that haven't gotten an earful. I think that most of them are afraid of me. :lol:

Probably afraid you will release the cows onto them. B:)

I find that I let them fly a bit more now by contrast to when I was younger. When the pressure is on and things do not go right they start popping out sometimes starting and finishing a sentence with profanity. Seldom do I feel better though....

Leave it to the Brits to do a study like this. When I heard about this I imagined something similar to a Monty Python sketch where this guy accidentally ends up in some room named "getting hit on the head lessons."

I swear all the time, and even as I've gotten older, I'd even venture to say that I swear even more. It just comes natural, and I just don't see it as a big deal, whereas when you're a kid, you know it's (considered) bad to swear. I feel slightly bad if I swear in front of a kid, but even then, if you don't want your kid to hear me swear, leave him the F@! home! ;)