Oil Cooling

Hi friends i will be testing a setup with oil cooling using mineral /transformer oil has any one had such an experience before?

My idea is to use a passive system and just cooling he oil with a complete passive system so no noise.

Any suggestions please?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi friends i will be testing a setup with oil cooling using mineral /transformer oil has any one had such an experience before?

My idea is to use a passive system and just cooling he oil with a complete passive system so no noise.

Any suggestions please?

Ive done a submersion system before, pretty simple, i just used an old glass tank and filled it with baby oil (had a nice scent for ages) only issue i had was the stickers peeled off, so make sure they are all off and cleaned (no leftover sticky) and everything else is 100% clean (no dust etc)

Was pretty cool to do, but unpractical as it weighed a good part of 100kg completely filled and the power cables would wick up and stop working every couple of weeks.

Ive done a submersion system before, pretty simple, i just used an old glass tank and filled it with baby oil (had a nice scent for ages) only issue i had was the stickers peeled off, so make sure they are all off and cleaned (no leftover sticky) and everything else is 100% clean (no dust etc)

Was pretty cool to do, but unpractical as it weighed a good part of 100kg completely filled and the power cables would wick up and stop working every couple of weeks.

I will be using a different type of case so i take all stickers off. did you do something for the cpu? some claim that i need to seal the part of the Pins due to high frequency which is in the pins the oil might get conductive a very high frequency?

Im pretty sure that you dont need to seal anything off my friend and I built an Amd 6400 x2 system 3 weeks ago and it works fine just dont put your hard drive in

Yeah i didnt seal anything either, just removed every sticker from all the components, made sure there wasnt any dust etc on the parts and used 3 high speed scythe fans to help move the oil around the parts.

Thanks for the help. i am also going to use an amd 6000*2 AM2 4 GIG RAM and a 8400GT. For the HD'S i shell be building my self two heat sinks which i will use oil to cool the HD'S.

bady Oil did work good? i mean it's colour how it is?

Thanks for the help. i am also going to use an amd 6000*2 AM2 4 GIG RAM and a 8400GT. For the HD'S i shell be building my self two heat sinks which i will use oil to cool the HD'S.

bady Oil did work good? i mean it's colour how it is?

yeah baby oil was good, had a bit of a fragrance but apart from that it was fine, it was clear and lasts alot longer then cooking oil.

I didnt bother cooling the HD's they were fine as is.

props for trying something different, but as i can find, oil has heat removal properties near 50% that of water, therefore not as good. it takes 1 calorie of energy to heat 1 cc of water 1 degree celcius. royal purple transformer oil is 56% as efficient as water is. regular mineral based transformer oils are about 43% as efficient as water.

now the thermal conductivity, how fast heat can move out of the fluid, water has 0.58, and the transformer oils are .077, or .12 for synthetic. so overall water is the best fluid. so personally i don't understand it other than for the safety factor of a non-electrically conductive fluid. but im not going to diss your creation. good luck with it. i and others would like to see pics of the setup.

Edited by robAP

props for trying something different, but as i can find, oil has heat removal properties near 50% that of water, therefore not as good. it takes 1 calorie of energy to heat 1 cc of water 1 degree celcius. royal purple transformer oil is 56% as efficient as water is. regular mineral based transformer oils are about 43% as efficient as water.

We are talking about submersion not watercooling (aka with a pump etc) you can submerge with water provided its pure. (from what i have read)

We are talking about submersion not watercooling (aka with a pump etc) you can submerge with water provided its pure. (from what i have read)

good luck finding "pure" water - distilled and deionized is the closest thing but really as soon as it hits the atmosphere and a piece of dust lands in it, it's susceptible to being conductive. i guess if you did it in a vacuum or something it might be possible...

good luck finding "pure" water - distilled and deionized is the closest thing but really as soon as it hits the atmosphere and a piece of dust lands in it, it's susceptible to being conductive. i guess if you did it in a vacuum or something it might be possible...

Exactly, hence the use of Oil, far less of an issue in terms of being conductive that quickly.