HD Tune low Spikes

QuantumX

I've been running HD Tune the past couple of weeks to see if this problem will disapear, but no luck. When I run HD Tune i get spikes where the transfer rate goes as low as 1.8MB/S. I also think its getting worse. At first there were only one spike at the start of the test, now there are as much as six! What causes these spikes, and how can it be fixed? Since I first saw these spikes my PC has been randomly rebooting (blue-screens and then restarts), freezing during gaming and sometimes freezes while windows is starting up. I also had to format it because it froze each time it enters Windows. My drive is a Seagate 250GB SATA2

post-64306-1247328871_thumb.png

I've been running HD Tune the past couple of weeks to see if this problem will disapear, but no luck. When I run HD Tune i get spikes where the transfer rate goes as low as 1.8MB/S. I also think its getting worse. At first there were only one spike at the start of the test, now there are as much as six! What causes these spikes, and how can it be fixed? Since I first saw these spikes my PC has been randomly rebooting (blue-screens and then restarts), freezing during gaming and sometimes freezes while windows is starting up. I also had to format it because it froze each time it enters Windows. My drive is a Seagate 250GB SATA2

I'd say if it keeps up definitely RMA that drive

I think i will get a new drive, maybe a 750GB or a 1TB drive, 250GB is getting a bit small. I could then just keep this 250GB as a second or backup drive.

I think i will get a new drive, maybe a 750GB or a 1TB drive, 250GB is getting a bit small. I could then just keep this 250GB as a second or backup drive.

you know, I might be selling my old 750GB if you're interested (it's a 750GB Seagate Barracude 7200.11)

Hahaha, sorry man, I have so much things I have to upgrade in my PC first: 1066MHz RAM, HD4870, Quad core CPU etc. Thats why I would like to know if there is a way to fix this drive because its all I have

Hahaha, sorry man, I have so much things I have to upgrade in my PC first: 1066MHz RAM, HD4870, Quad core CPU etc. Thats why I would like to know if there is a way to fix this drive because its all I have

well you could RMA it assuming it's still being covered under warranty

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering... how much are you doing while running HD tune? because I mean it shouldn't really affect it too much, but if you're saving and downloading and opening stuff while HD tune is running, that may give you a spike or two. Try running HD tune without doing anything else (assuming you didn't already do that).

• 2 weeks later...
Just wondering... how much are you doing while running HD tune? because I mean it shouldn't really affect it too much, but if you're saving and downloading and opening stuff while HD tune is running, that may give you a spike or two. Try running HD tune without doing anything else (assuming you didn't already do that).

I ran HD tune while my computer was idling. I got alot of spikes, so I opened task manager and ended as many tasks as I could. Still I got these spikes. The attached image was the rusults I got after and ended the tasks, the results however was the same before ending the tasks. I wasn't saving or downloading anything. I wonder if this may be caused by a fragmented file system? But does HD Tune actually read the files on the drive for testing?