stueck9356

Comp suddenly died - somewhat diagnosed

Okay so I was just sitting at my computer, had ventrilo up, was watchin a vid on VLC media player and was downloading a file from Firefox. Then my comp turned off. Not shut down, just died. I am not 100% sure but I might have smelled traces of electrical burn (you know how you freak out and start seeing/hearing/smelling things).

First thing I did was unplug the PSU. when I went to plug it back in, the power/reset switches lit up along with the LED on my sound card. All seemed normal so I pushed power and I get a short burst of power followed by nothing. Almost like the PSU is being tripped.

So I fully unplugged my PSU and removed it from the case. I jump-started it using a paper clip from the green wire to the ground (same thing your power switch does) and it started up and idled like normal.

I decided to plug things back in one by one to see what was causing the short. I started with the 24-pin connector (just the 24 pin) and started the PSU - all is well. So I unplugged, added the 8-pun CPU power, started it up and BZZT it died. I am thinking my CPU died since the motherboard is still powering up (stand-by LEDs light up and it will not short with just the 24-pin).

I had my Q6600 OC'ed to 3.0Ghz (333x9 i think) at 1.3 or 1.32v. I am not 100% sure on the voltages, but they were within Intel spec's and were below what other OC'ers push.

Anyone have any clue? Did my CPU die?

P.S. I use a push-pull config on my heatsink, and the fan speed is fixed, non-dependent on the CPU's heat. even so when I stress-tested the CPU a while back the temps loaded something like 58/58/53/53. Never above 60c on hottest core.

Edited by Snugg

removed HS, cleaned it and the CPU and re-applied AS5, reseated and restarted, same problem.

Edited by Snugg

Yes. Last night I cleared CMOS and removed the battery overnight. Today I took the mobo out of the computer completely and decided to work on it on the table. I took all ram out of it except one stick. I tried to start it again and still no go. So I removed the one stick of RAM and used an older OCZ 1200Mhz stick...same (rules out ram). so I took it out to the living room and hooked up my HTPC's PSU to the motherboard (uses my old HX620W PSU) still shorted (Rules out PSU). So I went all out and removed the CPU from the mobo completely and tried to at least get the board to stay on. And the mobo still shorted.

Since the CPU was out of the motherboard when I tried starting it the last time, and the motherboard still tripped the PSU, I am guessing that the problem actually lies within the 8-pin CPU circuit?

I would love to cris-cross the mobo and CPU with another intel system but unfortunately all other computers in my house use AMD athlon chips.

Edited by Snugg

sounds like the MB rather then the CPU, though one could have fried the other. shiver is right and you should try to RMA it if you can.